Friday 23 October 2020

Browsing the World Wide Web

Years ago I used Microsoft Internet Explorer to search the Web however I ceased using it when I became concerned Microsoft was getting too powerful and wanted to know too much about me.  These days I use a number of browsers for different purposes.  My reasoning is I can protect my privacy better using different browsers and minimise the browser owners efforts to direct me to content they have a vested interest in promoting.

Firefox is exclusively used for Facebook.  I don’t post much on Facebook, but I do lurk watching others.  A couple of years ago I uninstalled Google Chrome for the same reason I’d ceased using Internet Explorer.  My main browser became Opera.  However more recently I’ve commenced using Brave when I discovered Opera is based on Chromium, which is the source of Chrome. 

Brave is also derived from Chromium source code.  However the developers have made some significant changes to the original source code.  I use it because; unlike Internet Explorer and Chrome; it blocks Ads and Web Trackers.  Unsurprisingly Brave looks very similar to Chrome.

When I switched browser to Brave I also changed my search engine from Google to DuckDuckGo.

DuckDuckGo claims to never record or share your personal information.  It earns revenue from Ads, but the displayed Ads are based on your search results rather than your personal details or search history.  When using Google have you noticed how Ads tend to follow you around. That’s Google tracking you and recording your internet history.   

2 comments :

Pip and Mick said...

I'm a Netscape Navigator man myself :-)

Mick

Tom and Jan said...

Mick if my memory is accurate Netscape died; was resurrected by AOL and then died again around 2008. If that's the case then you haven't had an upgrade in 12 years? But if is working then it's probably unlikely anyone is tracking you for Ads????