Tuesday 9 March 2021

Rooftop Tent Pt2

Yesterday evening Jan asked “Are we watching Harry & Meghan or MacDonald and Dodds tonight?”   To which I replied “I’m not interested in Jasper Carrott and Pelican Legs!”  Of course you can’t get away from this tittle tattle and this morning I had to listen to the TV news reader describe how disappointed Jasper was that after his resignation his former employer failed to continue paying him a salary plus benefits beyond six months.  Apparently the couple also stated they were “drawing a line” under the matter and we’d hear no more from them on the subject.  I believe that as much as I believe in the tooth fairy! 

Back to something in the real world.  This morning I borrowed my brother’s trailer and collected the hard shell folding camper tent from the supplier who used a forklift to load it onto the trailer.  I wanted it with the front of the tent facing the back of the 4WD. that way it would be facing in the correct alignment to fin onto the camper trailer roof rack.  It’s far to large and heavy for me to lift on my own.

P1010357

I stripped all the cardboard and plastic packaging before laying out four saw horses.  then I dragged the tent off the trailer whilst Jan threaded two length os of 4x2 across the saw horses and under the tent.

P1010358 

With access to the interior of the tent now available I removed the ladder, fixing equipment and mattress in an effort to lighten the shell.  It’s still too heavy for me to light on my own. 

The next step is to rotate the tent horizontally by 180deg and then lift it onto the camper trailer roof rack where I can mark out the holes required to secure it.  With that achieved it has to be removed from the trailer and placed back on the saw horses upside down.  I’ll then remove the roof rack off the trailer and secure it to the underside of the tent.  The last installation step id to turn the tent back over and place it back on top of the camper trailer before securing the roof rack to the trailer.

The good piece of news is the tent specifications state a closed height of 295mm and I’ve measured it at 290mm.  This should (I hope) give me 10mm of clearance when passing through the two garage doors.

3 comments :

Jenny said...

This seems a big job Tom, we will be watching you proceed with interest. Dont drop it on your feet, it looks so heavy!

Tom and Jan said...

Jenny that's why I have asked Jan to take the heavy end :-)

Veggi said...

Jasper Carrot & Pelican legs, very good, here in the UK it’s Ginge and Winge 😀