Saturday 20 March 2021

Small lunch and hot days

Yesterday it was 38°C and today is the same.  We haven’t had lunch out for some time and decided to have a chinese meal at the Joondalup Food Hall.  Jan always packs our own chopsticks and a thermos of cold water.  The drinks at the food hall outlets are quite expensive!  The chinese food outlet has an option of rice or noodles plus a choice of four other dishes.  After the meal we both commented that the meal appeared to be smaller than was previously the case.  I wonder if the COVID-19 social distancing restrictions are the cause.  Many food outlets were closed for several weeks and their income would have been adversely affected.  Perhaps they are attempting to recover losses by reducing the portion sizes?

In the afternoon I donned my Wickes onesee and disappeared into the man cave to make some trailer indicator light brackets from a couple of pieces of scrap steel.  It needed to be bent and I used my cartridge torch to heat the steel.  The torch won’t put out enough heat to get the steel red hot, but it was sufficient to bend the steel.  After cutting the brackets to size and drilling the mounting holes I gave it a coat of galvanised paint followed by two top coats of gloss black.

P1010387

Finished product.

By now I’d realised only mad dogs and english men go out in the midday sun and I was a ball of sweat!  Time to head inside where Jan had the air conditioners running….. using our free solar generated electricity.  I hate to think what our electricity bill would be if we didn’t have the solar array on the roof!

This morning I was back working on the trailer before it reached the forecast 38°C.  One light was fitted on the new bracket and the other bracket was installed.

P1010388P1010389 

The wires on the second indicator are too short to mount it on the bracket.  I’ll have to extend them.  However the heat got to me and it will have to wait for another day.

Oh, it’s Saturday.  Swen the good looking and well built Nordic pool cleaner will be here to give the pool its weekly clean.   I case you hadn’t realised it, I’m Swen.  When it comes to the pool there is a fair distribution of work.  Jan swims in it and I do the cleaning along with Jacques Cousteau.  Jacques gets to cool task of cleaning the bottom whilst I stabd in the heat and clean the filters before testing the water chemical levels.  Sometimes I help Jacques by using the brush on the sides, whilst on other occasions I informed him he’s done an unsatisfactory job and make him spend another two hours of cleaning.  I suspect he does this deliberately in order to have more time swimming in the pool.  Of course when I drag him out I have to them clean his filter and put him to bed.

 

2 comments :

Jenny said...

Of course you are Swen, harking back to a former life perhaps, maybe a Viking warrior?

Tom and Jan said...

Jenny, according to the family genealogist, more likely Rangi from Tolaga Bay :-)