Sunday 14 March 2021

Trial Fit

If I’m to lift the new rooftop tent onto the trailer roof rack then I need to make it as light as possible.  Opening the tent whilst it was supported by the sawhorses enabled me to remove the collapsible ladder and large mattress.

P1010377P1010378 

I’ve decided to buy a piece of shade cloth which will go between the bottom of the mattress and the carpeted floor.  The intention is this will minimise moisture build-up by allowing air to circulate.  The gas struts make it quite easy for one adult to open and close the tent.

At midday my sister and brother-in-law visited.  He immediately offered to assist lifting the tent onto the trailer using the method I’d decided on.  It all went well and the tent is now in place, although not secured!

P1010379

I then had a discussion with Ken (friend and reader) who suggested we dispose of the roof rack and mount the tent directly to the trailer.  I didn’t think this would be feasible as the rack is mounted on six small plinths which can’t be removed.

P1010335

A – Plinths

Then I realised the mounting bars on the underside of the tent floor were the same height as the plinths.  So the rack could be removed and I’d reduce the overall height by approximately 30mm.  However this created a few more problems.  The tail lights (B) are higher than the plinths and would need to be repositioned.  Perhaps I could reposition them to the underside of the trailer floor (C).  Whilst that is feasible it would then require repairs to the original bolt holes.  Another negative is the floor of the tent would be below head height and as the 270deg awning fits to the side of the tent box I’d need to constantly crouch or stoop when the awning was erected.  Conversely, the lowering of the tent height reduces the trailer centre of gravity and wind drag when towing.  Much to think about!

Brian the style of tent in your link is quite prevalent here.  They are cheaper than the aluminium clam shell style above but are harder to pack away and also higher.  Moreover I don’t like the idea of folding away wet canvas onto my bedding if it rained overnight.

No comments :