Sunday 30 May 2021

Fishing Line Jig – First Test

Friend and blog Reader Ken mentioned the fishing line ‘FG Knot’ to me several weeks ago.  It’s used to tie braided line to mono or fluro-carbon line.  Braided line is very strong and light but prone to fraying if dragged across rocks.  Tying a short length of mono or fluro-carbon line as a leader onto the hook end of the braid alleviates most of the braided line issues.

Ken watched a number of YouTube instruction videos and particularly noted one from an Australian fisher who had made a jig for the knot which he was selling for $44.  That seemed expensive and Ken decided to build his own.  We used it on our last fishing trip where I realised I might be able to improve upon the design.

As mentioned in previous blog posts mine looks like this

P1010458 

With the Araldite set, today I made my first attempt at a FG Knot tying braid to mono.

P1010462

Braid line on the left and mono on the right.  The knot is certainly strong but doesn’t look as tight as I would like.

P1010466

Second attempt.  Mono on the left and braid on the right.  To the left of the red line are the winding of braid on the mono and to the right is a series of half hitches where I attempted to finish off the braided end.  The knot looks nice and tight but the half hitches need more work.

More practicing required!

This morning Jan reminded me she had asked me to remove the bougainvillea growing in the corner of the front porch.  It’s very tenacious and refuses to die no matter how much weedkiller it drinks. 

P1010463 

I suspect it was once a large bouganvillea as the roots stretched to China.  Well that’s how far I thought I had to dig!  After digging half a metre I cut it off and reinstated the porch pavers

P1010465

I wonder

How many Australians who are hesitating about getting the COVID-19 vaccine consider the following.

Australia’s total population is 25,000,000

Latest statistics show the total annual deaths in motor vehicle accidents was 1200

3,000,000 Australians have been vaccinated against COVID and there has been one attributed death.

Therefore statistically if the entire population of 25 million were to be vaccinated with Astrazeneca the calculated number of blood clot related fatalities would be 8.

Conclusion.  You are 99.5% more likely to die in a motor vehicle accident on your way to receive the vaccine than dying off the vaccine.

No comments :