Friday 21 May 2021

More Projects

If my memory is accurate I’ve previously mentioned the replacement mitre gauge I bought from China for the DeWalt bench saw.  It was possible to purchase all the components as a single item but that looked expensive.  Instead I’ve sourced the various components individually and assembled the mitre saw fence myself.

The extruded aluminium fence was fitted to the mitre gauge and I then made a timber front from MDF.

P1010447 

Next the adhesive tape measure was fitted to the top of the aluminium fence.

P1010448

The adjustable stop which fits onto the fence has yet to arrive.  Doing all this myself has reduced to total price by 50%.

Another cheap purchase from China were these adjustable bench dogs seen on the left in the photo below.  To their right are the Veritas Bench Dogs which were six times the price. 

P1010445

They fit into the 20mm holes in my assembly table top

P1010446

You can also use them a a timber stop when planning a piece of timber.

During the recent fishing trip Ken showed me his FG Knot jig.  The FG Knot is excellent for attaching leader line to braided line.  After using Ken’s jig I though it might be improved.  This next photo shows my progress to date.

P1010444

Ken’s jig uses vertical wood dowels which don’t flex as the knot is tied.  My idea is to use plastic knitting needles.  Two of the needles hold the braided line whilst the third will hold the leader line.  I have yet to work out how long the knitting needles will need to be to keep the line tight when tying the knot.  I also need to find some large buttons which I’d Araldite to the top of the needles.

 

No comments :