Thursday 10 February 2022

Testing Time

You wouldn’t want to assemble the project only to discover something doesn’t works.  <OK… Been there – Done that – Have the Tshirt Smile)

First task was to check the continuity and operation of the temperature sensor.  There should be no continuity when the sensor is cold.

P1010848

Good… No continuity!

Next place the sensor in the kitchen kettle and start raising the temperature whilst monitoring with the multimeter.

P1010849

I didn’t attempt to measure water temperature but the sensor worked and I had continuity.

I’ve made a small box from scrap plywood to house the pump and solar. It’s probably not required as the planned pump and controller location is in a sheltered position on the rear wall off the man cave.

P1010850

I even found an old piece of Perspex for a window

The next test was to connect the pump solar controller and solar panel.

P1010851

Before taking it outside and aligning the panel with the sun.  The pump burst into life.  Having satisfied myself it would work I quickly took it all inside as I didn’t want to run the pump whilst it was dry.

The last test was to see if the temperature sensor would fit the solar hot water panel outlet coupling.

P1010852

It won’t!  The flange on the end of the sensor is slightly larger than the internal diameter of the fitting.   Initially I though a solution might be to fit a short length of flexible pipe between the two.  However that would move the sensor away from the panel.    I’ve decided I will file down the flange on the sensor so it will fit inside the bass fitting.  Both ends of the sensor will have to be done.

Meanwhile the project has been delayed.  The electrical cable I ordered online for the project has been delayed.  Not COVID related!  Rather the recent flooding rains in South Australia damaged more than 300km of the single railway track across to Western Australia.  The water has now receded but the ground is still very wet with repairs taking weeks.  80% of domestic goods entering Western Australia come by train.  Hence the delay!

No comments :