Monday 2 May 2022

Burnt by eBay Seller

Last year Jan bought a small kitchen device from an eBay seller and when the item didn’t arrive by the scheduled date I wrote to the seller.  A long exchange of correspondence ensued until I realised the seller was probably stringing me along.  When I sent to initiate a dispute I discovered so much time had passed it was beyond the deadline to dispute the non delivery.  Lesson learned!

In February of this year I ordered a water pump from an EBay seller in Chullora, NSW, Australia.  When the pump didn’t arrive by the latest scheduled date I queried the seller as to its location.  The seller requested I wait long.  Then the purchase disappeared from our eBay history.  Whilst we could prove we had paid via Paypal we were no longer able to raise a dispute and request a refund from eBay.  I kept communicating with the seller who kept asking me to wait.  I never got angry in my correspondence as I knew I couldn’t raise a dispute in eBay.  Eventually the seller agreed to refund our $84.95.

Today; three months after placing the order; the pump was delivered.  Now we have a pump and a refund.  That’s not right.  I wrote to the seller advising the pump had been delivered but as I’d previously advised him I no longer required it; having purchased a replacement locally; would he like me to send it back to Chullora and would he pay the postage?

This afternoon I received a reply telling me to keep the pump.  Why do I feel guilty?

P1020007 

I’ve been out for another long ride on the bike and regrettably, the problem with the loose left pedal crank hasn’t been solved.  The ride was approximately 40km and I felt good afterwards.  At least the enforced stops to re-tighten the crank gave my rear end a rest.

joondalup

Both the original Bafang and Shimano cranks have now loosened.  I’ve been to the hardware store and purchased more Loctite.  This time I’ll thoroughly clean all the components before applying the Loctite.  If that fails I’ll look at drilling and threading the crank head so I can install a grub screw .

1 comment :

Dave said...

Hi Tom
Is the pedal unscrewing or is it the allen bolt into the bottom bracket?

Both shouldn't as the thread on one side (can't remember which) is a LH thread so it tightens in use.

If its the allen bolt into the bottom bracket have you perchance stripped it down and put the axle back in the wrong way round? (Difficult to do with a sealed cartridge bearing but if the screw cups are separate it can be done with those as well)

we had it on a pedalcar where the chain was on other side. Had to use a tandem crank as no amount of locktite would keep it tight.