Monday 1 January 2024

I have a Suspicion & The Air had gone to the Top!

It has been weeks; in one case months; since we ordered several undelivered purchases from Aliexpress.  The oldest is the LED bulb for the Torch project.  It was ordered in late October with Aliexpress reporting tracking ceased on 15 November when it was delivered to the "destination country's carrier" (Australia Post).

I've now reviewed all the long term undelivered purchases and confirmed Aliexpress tracking shows them as being received by Australia Post.  Our other Aliexpress purchases sent to local commercial courier services, notably Fast Horse; have been delivered promptly!

Why has Australia Post not delivered the packages?

I suspect a combination of two factors.

Firstly; it's Christmas and the Australian postal system is experiencing delays with the 'peak' volume of deliveries.  Secondly; China has declared itself a "developing country".  This means under international postal agreement mail originating from China travels at a very low cost.  Australia Post may either make little profit or even a loss, delivering these packages. 

My suspicion is Australia Post is prioritizing the delivery of mail ensuring the more profitable packages get delivered during the festive season.  If I am correct we will probably receive a flood of Australia Post deliveries in the middle of January.

Air at the Top

Ten days ago I went into our garage to find all the air in the front driver side tyre had gone to the top!  Suspecting the tyre had a puncture I replaced it with the spare, intending to take the original to the nearest tyre centre for repair.

The following morning I again discovered all the air at the top of the tyre.  Logically the problem wasn't with the tyre.  Instead it had to be the Tyre Pressure Management System (TPMS) sensor.  There is a sensor screwed onto the end of the valve stem on each tyre.  They contain a battery and wirelessly link to a display on the dash which shows each tyre's pressure and temperature.

When I unscrewed the affected sensor I discovered the small rubber washer which seals the sensor to the valve stem had been torn.  I managed to remove it using a pin.  The original TPMS system (display and 4 sensors) only cost $27 but I was loathed to give up on the old unit.  After searching eBay I found a source for replacement washers.  The cost of postage was five times the value of one washer so I ordered four.  This had no effect on the cost of the postage.

Today they were delivered

P1020232

This is the affected sensor

P1020233

On the valve stem side you can see I've removed the damaged washer

P1020234

Using the tip of a ballpoint pen I pressed one of my new washers into the sensor.

P1020235

The new washer is twice the thickness of the original.  I was slightly concerned that the sensor would fit back onto the valve stem and create an air tight seal.

I had to screw it down quite hard to achieve the seal.  I'll now be interested to see if the air in the tyre remains at the bottom.

 

No comments :