Monday 22 January 2024

Two Small Tasks

The rubber mounting strap which connects the rear light on the bike to the seat post has perished and snapped.  The light still works so I made a small mounting bracket from a piece of scrap aluminium plate.

P1030644

I really don't like throwing things away that either, still work or may be useful one day.

Meanwhile, Jan had noticed some vegetable garden insect screen boxes on the internet.  The smallest size was $100 and she asked if I could make one saving her the $100+.

I had a spare length of 20mm pvc pipe and made some corner brackets from scrap timber.  The netting was $29 from the hardware.

P1030645

If there is a request to make three for the remaining veggie boxes I'll think of a better design.

More on the Open Live Writer (OLW) photo saga.

Several years ago Google made a 'security' change to their API which resulted in OLW photos no longer appearing in Blogger.  Eventually a solution was found which required OLW users to create a folder in Google Drive.

This latest issue appears to be as a result of Google making a change to the hyperlink address format for data.  There doesn't appear to be any issue with this  when transferring or linking data between Google programs (Drive, Photos, Blogger, etc).   I think the issue is that the OLW photos are transferred from OLW into Google Drive with the old address format.  As a result Google Drive won't transfer and display the data in Blogger.  

The 'work around' HTML/JavaScript restructures the address of the OLW photos to the new format.  This is done by Blogger when it attempts to receive them from Drive.   However there can be a slight delay during this process resulting in the photos no immediately being displayed.

I'd like to think Google will accept there is an "issue" with 3rd party data address formats and make further changes to allow the 3rd party data to be accepted.  But I'm not optimistic!

6 comments :

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

I'm still not sure what the advantage is in using Open Live Writer (OLW).. I've blogged for 17 years now and never felt the need to use anything other than in built Blogger software, but I know you, and I think Pip use it, so what's the draw??

Tom and Jan said...

Steve,

I find OLW has a few advantages over Blogger. The formatting appears to be easier in OLW. Also, you can write a draft and give it a future publication date. However there is also the fact I've grown used to it.

Tom and Jan said...

Oh.... and you can also write posts without an internet connection using OLW.

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Cheers , Tom.. it seems complicated but at my age I am drawn to "got used to it" argument! :o))

Pip and Mick said...

HI Tom and Steve.
I gave up on OLW after it lost loads of our photos a few years ago and moved the blog to Wordpress. Mick spent our first winter in the house putting all the photos back! It wasn't as simple as one set of dates, they were missing from here there and everywhere.
ON Worpress I can set future publications, there are three waiting to be posted right now, but I do have to write posts on line. This is only a problem every now and again when internet is none existent like on some parts of the Oxford, but we know where they are now and avoid them.
The block editor takes some getting used to, but now I'd be reluctant to move the blog as you say Tom 'I've grown used to it' and Mick hates it when ever anything changes.
Pip

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Pip,

Each time there is a problem with OLW I say "That's it!" and look a Wordpress. But I never get to the point of bothering to configure it :-)
Tom