Monday 29 January 2024

Trip Planning

My thoughts have turned to planning another overseas cycling trip.  But where?  The USA and Canada have been excluded on the basis of long distances and many kilometres of the same scenery.  SE Asia would be cheap, but hot and humid.  I traced a cycling route along the east coast of Japan before deciding the most promising destination was Europe.

My reasons for this are:

  1. Excellent cycling paths
  2. Diverse scenery
  3. Numerous accommodation options
  4. The ebike battery could be delivered to our son in Manchester.

There are many cycle paths (EuroVelos) to choose from and after tracing most of them on a map my preferred route is EuroVelo 5 from the UK to Switzerland returning via EuroVelo 15 through Germany and the Netherlands.  A rough estimated distance of 3500km. 

Rather than incurring the expense of a hotel or B&B every night I'll do some camping.  I took a tent, air mattress and sleeping bag on my first cycling trip in Taiwan. I can do that again. 

One of my major concerns is how and where I might recharge the ebike battery.  I can possibly use a power point in a restaurant or cafĂ© for an hour when eating.  Hotels and B&B's won't be an issue.  Camping grounds will likely have a kitchen with a power socket.  Then I realised camping grounds might have caravan and motorhome power sockets. 

More research indicated; unlike Australia; Europe uses CEE connectors.  I would need to make an adapter.  I have a CEE Form male 16A plug which we used on NB Waiouru.  It wasn't too hard to make an adapter.

P1030651

You might be wondering why I'm fitting an AS/NZ 3 pin female plug on the other end!

I'm going to take the international multi-way adapter with me.  I can use it without the CEE cable in hotels, cafes restaurants, etc.  Moreover I need the multi adapter as it has two inbuilt usb charging ports which I use to recharge my power banks, cameras, tablet, etc

P1030652     

I don't want to take the bike trailer.  Primarily because it weighs 8kg and that's a large portion of my airline checked luggage allowance.  Some research into carrying all the gear in the bike is required. 

2 comments :

Dave said...

Forgot to mention. Buy or make an adapter when you get to UK rather than bring in your luggage since easy to get at most caravan & camping shops eg Go Outdoors

Ade said...

Ah there you are Tom! Glad I tuned in.
Looking forward to this, an ebike is on my wish list.
See if I can find a way of a notification of a new blog post as I get with Pip & Mick!
Cheers
Ade.