Wednesday 23 January 2019

2nd alternative for inserting photos into Open Live Writer

Mick & Pip (nb Oleana) mentioned my previous “work around” for inserting photo’s into Open Live Writer was cumbersome and I agree with them.  The issue is managing to get the photos to have the required “credentials” from Google before inserting them into OLW.  This is because Blogger (eg Google) wont publish the post unless the photos in the OLW post have the credentials (my term).

I’ve discovered another method which is slightly simpler (again my term).  This method requires the photos to be uploaded to the Google Photos application.  Google Photos is the successor to Picasa so if you previously used Picasa then you should find your original Picasa photos in Google Photos.

Using Google Photos you can create albums and upload photos.

The work around I have identified requires both Google Photos and OLW to be running in separate screens.

STEPS

1.  Load Google Photos and upload your post photos

2.  Load OLW and commence your draft post.

3.  When you get to the point where you want to insert a photo switch to Google Photos and left click on the photo you want to insert.  This should bring the photo into its own screen.

4.  Right click on the photo and select “copy image”

5.  Go back to OLW and place the cursor where you want to place the image.  Right click and select the “paste” option.

The photo should be pasted into the post.

Repeat the process for subsequent photos

I have tested this process and my OLW post was published by Blogger.

7 comments :

Jenny and Robin said...

Tom,

To get this to work I had to give OLW permission to access my google account.

Once given it worked. I still can not put in a watermark tho. cant win them all.
Robin

Pip and Mick said...

Hi Tom and Robin
I'll give this work around a go too. Not being able to watermark photos is a pain. We've been hunting round for something that will automatically do it for you without having to do each individual photo. So far I've found https://www.watermarquee.com/ where you can do 5 photos at once for free. Just watch mixing landscape and portrait photos together, if the watermark is to one side it may partially disappear on portrait. It's fairly easy to use, but another process.
Pip

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

I'll bite... in 10+ years of blogging on Blogger I've only ever used vanilla blogger for putting up posts and the like - what's the benefit of this OLW app that makes you go through all the hoops just so you can continue to use it??? Have I been missing something? :o)

Geoff and Mags said...

I tried uploading the photos I intended to use into a new album in Google Photos, then right-clicking and copying the link to the one I wanted to insert. Didn't work. I'll try method B tomorrow...
Thanks for your efforts.

Tom and Jan said...

Pip
Probably the easiest way to insert a watermark is during the photo editing (assuming you edit your photos). I use Lightroom which has a watermark plugin.

Pip and Mick said...

Hi Tom
I just use Photos on the computer to edit my photos, they are then stored in OneDrive. None of this has the ability to watermark your photos. I used to use the one in OLW but it is no longer available.
I'm wanting to find a way around this that won't cost £10 a month really.
Pip

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Pip

Google photos doesn't have the capability to add watermarks to photos. I have always added my watermarks in my photo editing program (an automatic process) before inserting them into Open Live Writer. If you are using Microsoft Photos I think there is a free watermark plug-in for it (https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/p/photo-watermark-add-watermark-to-photos-add-timestamps/9p5cdj24bwn5?activetab=pivot:overviewtab). I use Lightroom rather than Photos.