Tuesday 5 April 2022

More Exploring of Perth

Growing confidence in the range of the e-bike battery is allowing me to explore Perth.  Three days ago I followed the cycleway north.  It is adjacent to the Tonkin Highway which is the principal northerly route out of Perth.

Some 10km along the path I came upon a cycle rest and repair stop.  A shelter with seats and benches  along with a bike repair stand consisting of a foot operated tyre pump and various tools attached to steel cables.

IMG_20220331_151135

I’d previously come upon a similar repair stand in the opposite direction adjacent to Lightning Swamp, Noranda.  It’s since been removed, which I assume is due to vandalism,  This stand is in an isolated location and probably only visited by cyclists.  Hopefully it will remain.

Further north there was a drinking fountain.

IMG_20220331_153446 

Another very useful device in a hot climate.  I filled my water bottle here whilst reading the adjacent signboard.  The water is drawn from the Gnangara Mound, a vast aquifer below the fountain.  It’s the principal source of water for the northern half of the city.  In the 1930s the city fathers planted a large pine plantation on top of the mound anticipating it would be a major source of timber in the future.  What they hadn’t anticipated was the plantation starting to drain the aquifer.  Once that was identified most of the plantation was removed.

On reaching Warbrook Road I turned and headed home.  A 42km ride.  My best to date.

Today I headed in the opposite direction wondering if I could reach the city without my body failing.

I discovered the cycleway beside the highway has been blocked in three places requiring detours.  The blockage is the result of major work on the highway which is being widened for the new Ellenbrook suburban train line.  Eventually the various detours got me back onto the cycleway beside the Midland Train Line.  I turned south on reaching East Perth Train Station crossing over the Swan River to reach Optus Stadium.

IMG_20220402_152132

From here I cycled the south bank of the river before crossing back over the new Matagarup pedestrian bridge

IMG_20220402_152158_HDR

It was then a matter of retracing my route home.  43km and I’d only used just over 25% of the battery capacity.  I estimate if I was to maintain my riding style on similar terrain (flat) the battery range would be 120-150km.

2 comments :

Jenny said...

Just wondering.... do you have a fancy lycra outfit that you wear on your rides?

Tom and Jan said...

Jenny I'm far too self conscious to squeeze my grey and fat old body into skin-tight lycra and then display it in public :-)
Jan bought me two $8 burnt orange short sleeve HiViz polo shirts at the local KMart for bike riding