Saturday 2 April 2022

Repairs & Modifications

Whilst cleaning the camper trailer after the recent trip I noticed one of the side locker hinges had broken.  This is the third hinge that has failed on the trailer and I was slightly annoyed as I rarely open that particular locker. 

Looking on eBay it was possible to purchase a similar replacement hinge but I opted for something stronger.

P1010939

They are made of stainless steel and came in a packet of two.  Whilst they looked the same size there is a slight difference in dimension requiring some minor modifications to the trailer.

P1010940

I decided to keep the second hinge as a replacement for the next failure.

Another modification that has commenced is the “dropper” attachment for the drone.  I didn’t want to buy the attachment that is made for my drone (a FIMI X8 SE 2020) because that attachment comes with a separate remote control with a maximum range of 200 metres. 

The dropper attachment for the DJI Drone is activated by turning the drone navigation lights on and off.  This means the drone can be flown to maximum range and still activate the dropper.  So I purchased the DJI dropper attachment hoping it would fit the FIMI.  It was delivered two days ago and it doesn’t fit the FIMI Sad smile

The saddle of the attachment which fits around the body of the drone is too small.  I decided to cut the saddle and increase its width.

P1010938 

Step 1

I’m attempting to expand the width by flattening a brass picture hook and then, using Araldite, use it as a spacer.

P1010941

Step 2

When the Araldite has set I’ll drill a hole in each end of the brass strip and the saddle which I’ll then pin using the picture hook nail.

 

2 comments :

Davidss said...

The installed hinges in the image don't appear to have the pins aligned with one another, could this be a reason for the failure?

Regards.

Tom and Jan said...

David,
This is more likely a consequence of my poor eyesight when fixing the new hinge :-)