Monday 19 August 2024

Chur to Landau

An early start as I knew it would be another long day.  I wanted to reach Lake Constance and; hopefully; stay ahead of the predicted rain. 

Initially a slight detour was required to reach a local supermarket where I bought two bananas and two apples along with a replacement tin of food.  I think it was Ravioli.

Once again the EV15 route took me across the valley floor and into the foothills. 

IMG20240816090441

Looking back up the valley to Chur

Finally the EV15 took me to the path on the flood bank beside the Rhine.  Easy riding; albeit slightly boring.

IMG20240816093951

My issue started to become water.  I'd started the day with 1.5 litres in my camelback but it was such a hot day and with nothing around me I needed to ration my intake.

Then I noticed a building in the distance which appeared to look like a small hotel or café.  Water!

IMG20240816113658

It was closed…. Bugger!  Then I noticed the Swiss flag and realised it was an abandoned border post.  It became the first of a number I passed during the day.  At one point I was in Lichtenstein before crossing back into Switzerland.  Then I reached Austria where the authorities had established a bike repair point and a water fountain.  The camelback could be filled.  Thank you Austria!

At Bregenz, Austria I could see Lake Constance.  It's obviously a popular tourist destination.  An ice cream was a reward for completing 100km but the camping ground was full.  I cycled on eventually crossing into Germany!

The next campsite was closed (1 - 3 pm) for lunch.  This isn't uncommon and I cycled on reaching Lindau where I had to stop for a tourist train.  The crossing point was manned to ensure cyclists (there were many) remained outside the barriers.

IMG20240816143414

IMG20240816143435

The cycle paths in this area were very good and heavily utilized.  I suspect many of the cyclists are tourists who have brought their eBike on their holiday.   Ebikes are more common than conventional bikes.

I found a vacancy at my third campsite and attempted to erect the tent finding the ground so rocky and hard it was almost impossible to push in a peg. 

This camping ground had a small café that served food.  I order the meatloaf; which was probably a mistake.  It looked nothing like Jan's homemade meatloaf.  Two large and thick squares of luncheon (polony, fritz, etc).  The accompanying salad was swiftly eaten.

124km today.   Rain is forecast overnight and tomorrow.

 

No comments :