Wednesday 7 August 2024

Day 10 - Strasbourg

Yesterday I cycled from Saarbrucken to a camping ground beside the Incline Plane on the Canal de la Marne Au Rhin.  It was a relatively easy riding along the towpath beside the canal.  However I struck a problem at the 70km mark when there was a horrible grinding sound from my internally geared wheel hub.  The Shimano Alfine 11 speed.  I was left with the lowest gear and gear 8.  This slowed my progress considerably.  Moreover when I reached my planned stop for the day I discovered it was closed… permanently! 

Forced to keep going I reach the Incline Plane camping ground at 7.15pm having cycled 123km.   The first task was to get the bike battery changing and then erect the tent.  That was followed by a tin of food I'd purchased from an Aldi in Saarbrucken. I put a small amount of water into the Jetfoil and cracked the top of the tin before heating it in the stove.   No dishes to do and the food didn't burn.  I am a lazy cook!

This morning I made another unsuccessful attempt to fix the gear problem.  I resigned myself to cycling using only two gear and continued on the towpath until I reached Saverne where I found a knowledgeable bike mechanic.

He informed me the problem wasn't the gear cable or shifter, but something inside the hub.  His advice was it wouldn't be cost effective from a labour perspective to strip down the hub and look for the fault.  He did replace the damaged gear cable and suggested I try and ride gently to Strasbourg.

On reaching Strasbourg (1000km point) I went to a Giant Bike Shop which is a Shimano Dealer.  Not only did they inform me they didn't have a replacement hub, but if I was to order one it would arrive sometime in September.  Obviously that is unsatisfactory and I'm working on PLAN B.

My online search suggests there is stock in Bonn, Germany, some 360km north.  I could take the bike to Bonn on the train and have the hub replaced there.  Then take the train back to Strasbourg and continue my journey to Switzerland.  While I consider options I've booked cheap (relative term) accommodation for two nights in Strasbourg.

 

From the towpath

20240806_210618_01220240806_210724_29720240806_210740_455

2 comments :

Dave said...

Done a quick check and seems might be a discontinued hub

Have you tried https://www.taylor-wheels.com/28inch-bike-rear-wheel-a319-shimano-alfine-11-speed-sg-s7001-hub

Alternatively what about a different hub possibly deraileur until you can get a new alfine?

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Dave, Thanks for the link. I think I have found a local bike shop that can source a new wheel (27") and hub. Hopefully I will be able to continue the trip shortly
Tom