Wednesday 9 November 2022

Day 13 - Levin and a Reunion

Plenty of twitching in my sleep during the night.  It was my knees telling me I'd overused them during the previous five days.  Breakfast was Weetabix, yoghurt and a banana washed down with a cup of tea.  The to remaining saveloys from dinner last night will go into a sandwich for lunch.

The museum hadn't opened so I wandered around the outside looking at the static displays.  You know you're getting old when you see things in a museum that you remember as new.

The 5.5 inch howitzers were the artillery pieces used by 4 Medium Battery.

IMG_20221014_081118

NZ purchased two UK made Centurion tanks in the mid 1950's.  They were replaced by eight American M41 light tanks of Korean War vintage.

IMG_20221014_081208IMG_20221014_081427

I cannot recall a time when all eight M41 tanks were "runners".

The M41's were replaced with the 'Scorpion'  light tracked reconnaissance vehicle.  It was the cheapest tracked vehicle NZ could buy and fitted with a very thirsty large petrol engine.  

IMG_20221014_081339

NZ's involvement in the Vietnam War resulted in the purchase of a number of M113 APC's (Armoured Personnel Carriers).  From memory they were made of aluminium by the General Canning Company of America and could carry 10 soldier. 

IMG_20221014_081313

IMG_20221014_081231

"Remembering the War Animals"

Over the years the original museum has seen a number of expansions.  The first was an extension constructed by 1 Field Squadron, RNZE.  The second was the Kippenberger Pavilion which houses the administration offices, shop and café.  The last appears to be a large extension on the rear clad in steel sheets.

IMG_20221014_081403IMG_20221014_081512

Once the museum had opened I spent several hours wandering around before deciding to look at Waiouru Army Camp.  The actual camp appeared to be closed to the public with security checkpoints on the main access points.  I decided to visit our old married quarters (we lived in three at various times).

It was somewhat of a surprise to discover much of the housing had disappeared.  What was once streets of dwellings was now lawn with the occasional house. 

IMG_20221014_103422

Our married quarter has gone!

IMG_20221014_103714

The three 'Colonels' houses remain

IMG_20221014_103942

Waiouru remains the army's main training area in the North Island, however I assume the changes in society (double income families) means that few families were prepared to move to Waiouru where there would be little employment opportunities for 'civilians'.  Moreover the army has shrunk in size with army families now reside closer to major population centres where there are more employment opportunities for spouses.

Times change!

Leaving Waiouru I continued south down State Highway 1 (SH1).  There have been more improvements to the road, removing some of the more twisted sections, but it is essentially the same alignment.  I know the area well having travelled it on numerous occasions over the years.

Taihape hadn't changed much.  My brother was born in the Taihape Hospital when my parents and I lived in Waiouru.  Several decades later our own eldest son was born in the same hospital when Jan and I were living in Waiouru.

On reaching the town of Mangaweka I discovered the police had closed the highway.  There had been a serious road accident further south.  Most of the vehicles pulled off the highway and parked in the town.  I did the same finding a clear area adjacent to the road.

  IMG_20221014_115822IMG_20221014_115430IMG_20221014_115458

The enforced stop meant the local roadside café was doing roaring trade.  Probably their best day in a decade! 

I had lunch whilst waiting.  That sandwich using the last of my cooked saveloys as a filling.  Obviously I need to buy more!

IMG_20221014_115510

Time wasn't critical for me and I went for a walk around the town.  The main street through Mangaweka was very quiet.  It used to be State Highway 1 but that has obviously changed with the realignment of the highway.  The lack of 'through' traffic appears to have killed many of the businesses on the street. 

The old branch of the Bank of New Zealand had been converted to an Antiques shop, which also appeared to have closed.

IMG_20221014_115548

One of the first things I noticed on arriving in New Zealand was the move towards bi-lingual.  Much of the signage contains both English and Maori. 

IMG_20221014_120023

Obviously the Maori for Police is Pirihimana.  But the Maori didn't have police when the European arrived and I've been unable to find a source that explains how the word was created.

After an hour two tow trucks appeared from the south carrying the remains of the seriously damaged ute and car that had collided.  Shortly thereafter the police opened the road and I continued south.

Jenny (of Robin & Jenny blog Romany Rambler) had suggested I park the motorhome at the Levin Cosmopolitan Club and phone them when I arrived.

I had been invited to dinner.  Jenny dislikes saveloys but had noted my craving.  She very kindly purchased a packet of them for Robin and me.  Robin then showed me how he cooks them.  Up to this point all mine have exploded during the cooking process and I was hoping for a better result using Robin's technique.

IMG_20221014_201958_HDR

Robin & Jenny

Jenny phoned their neighbours and invited them over.  Those readers who follow narrowboat blogs may remember Dot & Derek of nb Gypsy Rover, which was subsequently purchased by Ray & Diane and renamed Ferndale.

Dot walked into the room and I said "G'day Dot"  She looked very puzzled; not recognising me!  Jenny did the prompting and the light went on.  It was a wonderful evening catch up and discussing many topics.

IMG_20221014_180544_HDR

Dot & Derek

Thank you Jenny & Robin!

Jenny kindly took me back to the Cosmopolitan Club where I had a peaceful and undisturbed night.  Tomorrow I head further south to Wellington.

2 comments :

Jenny said...

Oh dear Tom, I didn't realise you had eaten saveloys for lunch as well as being served them for your evening meal! Just as well I had made a bacon and egg pie as well. It was great to catch up with you again.

Tom and Jan said...

There was also bacon & egg pie?????? I just remember the delicious saveloys!