Saturday 12 November 2022

Day 17 - Palmerston North

Another location which has figured prominently in my life.  Palmerston North is where I was born; along with our daughter 22 years later.  It's where Jan and I had our first home and during my military career I had three postings to the nearby Linton Military Camp.  It's also where my mother spent her childhood and teenage years before she enlisted into the NZ Army.

Palmerston North is located on the Manawatu Plains. To the east are the Tararua Ranges.  Precipitation from the Tasman Sea is pushed across the plains which then dumps rain on Palmerston North and the western side of the Tararua's.  The climate can be unpleasant during winter.  I have no desire to live here!

Adjacent to my campsite was a (new to me) pedestrian and cycle bridge across the Manawatu River.  The path on the far bank circumnavigates the boundaries of Massey University and Linton Army Camp terminating at Bells Road.  55 years ago this poorly paid young soldier would have appreciated using this cheap and free shortcut from the city to his barracks.

IMG_20221017_123741IMG_20221017_123816

The new bridge and path seemed to be well used.  No doubt the Massey University students appreciate it.

Not much else in the city appeared to have changed.

One of the main reasons for my visit was to catch up with a couple of old army colleagues.

Greg and I enlisted into the army Regular Force Cadet School in the same year and both of us completed electrical apprenticeships.  Our career paths crossed over the years with both of us serving 20+.  Greg stayed in Palmerston North whilst I went further afield.

IMG_20221017_195727 

Judith & Greg

My other meeting was with Mike & Colleen.  Mike and I first met at the School of Military Engineering where he was an instructor and I was the deputy.  Subsequently he was the Squadron Sergeant Major of 3 Field Squadron in the South Island at the same time I was there.

IMG_20221018_141220

Enough of the boring personal stuff.  What was for dinner that night?

Oh Good!    There are still some saveloys…. Smile

IMG_20221016_163415

Got to make the most of the available time

Later that evening I received an email from our daughter advising that our 3rd grandson was having a birthday party and I had been invited.  I'd need to rethink my itinerary if I planned on attending.  

No comments :