Sunday 6 November 2022

Round the Mountain - Day 4

Carlin and I have realised this might be a six day walk…. and we only bought food for five days!  Options are to go hungry on the last day or share one evening meal tomorrow.  We've opted for the latter.

I will also need to do an assessment on my ankle.  If it's too much of a handicap I could stop walking when we reach the Turoa Ski field Road and call a taxi .

Map day 4

The track from the hut to Turoa Ski Field Road is 50% open tussock with the rest alpine beech forest.   The track then uses the sealed road for several kilometres.  It will take us uphill towards the mountain and then the track branches off to the north over more undulating open terrain.   Towards the end of the walk we will need to descend down the 'Cascades' before reaching Mangaturuturu Hut. 

elevation  

The undulating terrain will see our altitude steadily increase until we reach the departure point on the Turoa Road.

I ate another sausage, eggs and hash browns breakfast.  It still tastes like mush! 

Carlin and I are the first to leave the hut.  However we know the much fitter Taradale School Group will catch us quite quickly.  I find myself favouring my right leg in an effort to avoid placing any undue strain on my left ankle. 

IMG20221011090240

After three days of sunny dry weather the forecast has changed.  In the morning there is a blue sky but the wind has picked up.  We add a layer of clothing for the day, whilst I also change into long trousers and don my gaiters.

IMG20221011090332IMG20221011092010

The usual two small muesli bars for lunch washed down with some lovely cold mountain water. 

Carlin admires my stream crossing technique.  He has the balance and dexterity to jump from rock to rock.  I have to pick my way across using the hiking pole to prod each rock in advance thereby ensuring I identify the stable stones.  The last thing I want to do is fall into a cold mountain stream with a 'dicky' ankle.

I didn't have my hearing aids in but Carlin could hear the birds in the forest.  The only wildlife we saw during the walk was this large Weta.

IMG20221011112256

when we reached Waitonga Falls the condition of the track improved significantly  Obviously this a popular day walk from the car park on the Turoa Road.

IMG20221011095732

By the time we reached the road the pain from my ankle had been suppressed by the pain in my right knee which I had been favouring all morning.   Ignoring the aches we carry on up the Turoa Road.  It's a rather boring part of the walk.

Of course after reaching the turn off point on the road it was back to descending.

turoa road

Looking back at the departure point on the Turoa Road

And ascending… and descending… again and again!

Towards the end of the day we reached 'The Cascades'.  The track goes down the face of a waterfall, the surface of which has been worn smooth by thousands of years of running water.   The designated track takes us across two streams at the top and one at the bottom.  I very carefully and slowly make my way to the bottom breathing a sigh or relief when I reach it.

IMG20221011123025IMG20221011130627cascades1

From here it's only a kilometre to Mangaturuturu Hut, our destination for the night. 

The hut belongs to the Wanganui Tramping Club and was first built by club members in 1928.  All the construction material (including the stove) were carried to the site by club members.  Over the decades there have been several improvements and we found it quite cosy. 

During the day we had been passed by the Taradale Group only to then pass them before the Turoa Road.  Towards the end of the walk we were overtaken by two of the four 16 year old girls who happily skipped past jumping from rock to rock.  Oh to be young!

IMG_20221013_122940

Yes it's still daylight, but I'm exhausted and heading for bed.  The teenagers can talk on and without my hearing aids I'll sleep through it!.  Depending on the weather, tomorrow may be a big day…..

 

 

No comments :