Monday 28 November 2022

Every Little Bit Helps

In three days I'll be on my way to Taiwan.  Two days ago I towed the bike trailer for the last time and yesterday I dismantled it ready for packing.  My airline ticket allows me two 23kg hold bags.  One will be the trailer containing the tent, etc and the other the cardboard box containing the bike.  I need to balance the weigh of each to ensure I remain within the 23kg allowance.

I didn't opt for the cheapest economy fare selecting instead a fare that gave me two pieces of hold baggage and the ability to change flights.   The latter is a "fall back" position should something go wrong with the bike tour forcing to return home early.   Seat selection options going to Taiwan were limited, but I managed to find a window seat.  I could have selected a seat in an emergency exit row, which has more leg room.  However Cathay Pacific wanted more money.  My return flight is on 1 January and it appears few people want to fly on that day.  Cathay Pacific allowed me to select a seat in the emergency exit row at no additional cost. 

As I was carefully disassembling the trailer, placing all the small parts into a plastic bag, I thought  might be a prudent measure to check the lubrication in the trailer wheel bearings.  I'd not previously checked this and as I'm away from home it seemed like a sensible measure.

Well there wasn't much grease in the bearings and more surprising was there were two ball bearings missing from each side.  I suppose if you're a Chinese bike trailer manufacturer trying to maintain a living through COVID then saving four 5mm ball bearing on every trailer adds up!

I cycled the 10km to the local bike shop this morning and purchased 25  ball bearings for $5.  They would have been cheaper from eBay, but I don't have the time.

P1020238

With the trailer wheel bearing sorted and greased I turned my attention to the bike.  Removing the 19.2Ah battery has definitely reduced the weight of the bike.  I just have to hope my second battery is delivered from China to Taiwan by the time I arrive. 

I'm carefully bagging all the bike small components and any tools I use are being set to one side to ensure I take them with me for the re-assembly in Taipei.

P1020236  

All the components are being cleaned and checked as the bike is disassembled.  I have a large roll of heavy duty bubble wrap which I'll use once the bike is fully stripped. 

The other project is also slowly moving along.  The area behind the workshop has been cleaned of vegetation and the building materials restacked.  I've also made a start on the lean-to framing. 

P1020237 

I won't be installing the roof until the neighbours tree has had its haircut.  That won't happen until after spring as there may be birds nesting in the tree.

5 comments :

Dave said...

Hi Tom

Have you thought about some sort of GPS tracker for your hold luggage since
you can't afford to have half the bike go missing.
Unlike a normal lost bag which whilst inconvenient isn't a disaster.

Another thought. Would it be cheaper to buy in Taiwan and sell on when you leave rather than shipping?

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Dave,

In all my air travel only the Air Force has lost my bags :-) I researched purchasing a bike in Taiwan however they aren't cheap (well as cheap as mine). I have 3 days in Taipei before I start cycling so any "lost" luggage should reach me before then. If not; I can rent a bike!

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Jenny,
I'm taking the laptop and hope to update the blog during the trip (if I'm not too tired at the end of each day)

Tom

Dave Gibb said...

Way back in the dim dark ages when I was assembling bikes I was taught to fill the bearing races with balls then take one out before assembling so the balls did not bind against each other, I doubt that this has changed but I could be wrong....

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Dave

That would mean only four missing instead of six!