Saturday 5 November 2022

Round the Mountain - Day 3

Day 3 - Rangipo to Mangaeheuhu Huts

I woke to find I had a sore and swollen left ankle.  No doubt as a result of the previous days' fall.  Breakfast was porridge from one of the freeze dried sachets.  The only positive comments I can make are the food was hot and eating from the sachet means no dishes to wash.

Three quarters of todays walk would be exposed desert with a very deep gully to navigate about an hour into the walk (red arrow)  The last section of the walk to Mangaehuehu Hut would be through alpine beech forest. 

Map day 3

Four gullies into the day and we reached the "big one"

Taking my time, I carefully picked my way to the base.  Somewhere down at the bottom is a wire suspension bridge across the river.  It's so far down you can't see it in the photo below. 

IMG20221010084709

In the back of your mind is the thought that you're going to have to climb out the other side.

IMG20221010085947

IMG20221010092316

Every hour we stopped for a five minute rest.  Grandson didn't need it, but his grandfather certainly did!  Toes were massaged to get some feeling back into them.  The possum-merino socks were outstanding.  I wore them every day and never got a blister.  Furthermore, they didn't smell.

IMG20221010110752

Reaching the beech forest didn't alter the undulating ground. 

IMG20221010121350

Instead of contending with rocks on which to roll an ankle I had slippery wet tree roots to avoid

IMG20221010121356IMG20221010122324IMG20221010122331IMG20221010122500

Things looked like they might improve when we reached a well formed path.  However it was only a short section.

IMG20221010122804

Five hours after starting we reach Mangaehuehu Hut.  It backs onto the forest in a clearing with panoramic views to the south.  We're now on the southern side of Ruapehu and halfway around the track.

IMG20221010134705

No paper in the 'long drop' and I'm running low with my personal stock.  I'd noticed Carlin has been reading a paperback every afternoon and I suggested he reads faster as I'm going to need some pages.  He offers one page.  However that will not be sufficient with my plumbing.  I reply by telling him he will have to read even faster or else I'll be taking pages from the back of the book; then won't know how the story ends! Smile

On removing my boots and socks I can see my left ankle is swollen.

IMG_20221010_150554

IMG_20221018_082206

I soaked my small microfibre travelling towel in water from the chilled mountain stream and wrapped it around the ankle.  Next, I lay on my back with my left leg elevated up the exterior wall of the hut.  (RICE)  Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation).  Each time the towel warmed I resoak it.

Later that afternoon seven more walkers arrive at the hut from the same direction that we had travelled.  They are a group of four secondary school students and two teachers from Taradale High School in the Hawkes Bay.  They are completing the walk as part of their participation in the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme.    One of the teachers had bought her 10 year old son along.

Another freeze dried evening meal which must have been so bland that I can't remember the taste. 

Towards dusk another walker appeared from the opposite direction.  He mentioned his lunch stop had been at the next hut which will be our destination tomorrow.  Obviously he is doing the circuit at twice our speed.

 

2 comments :

nb Bonjour said...

Go Tom, I'm deeply impressed! best wishes with the rest of it, and for the ankle of course
Debby

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Debby,
I musy have survived the walk as I've been able to write these blog posts! :-)