Friday 11 November 2022

Day 16 - Wellington and further North

There were three things I wanted to do before leaving Wellington.  The first was to find a pair of corduroy trousers.  They are difficult to find in Australia.  Perhaps because the climate is warmer.  It had been suggested to me that I try 'Farmers' one of the large NZ department stores.  After the walk yesterday decided to give my ankle a rest and caught a bus from Kilburnie into the CBD.  Not much had changed!  Same buildings… Perhaps different shops!

IMG_20221016_103205IMG_20221016_104752

IMG_20221016_114426

I remember the bucket water feature

IMG_20221016_122545

'Farmers' did have a pair of corduroy trousers in my size.  After returning to Evans Bay I plotted my next two destinations into the GPS. 

My first destination was MT Victoria where I knew there would be panoramic views of the city and surrounding areas.  There are two roads to the summit and I knew one was narrow and winding.  I needed to ensure I used the other which; fortunately; was near Evans Bay.

My very first "selfie".  Yes I am very much behind the times!   The video starts with the Byrd Memorial in the background. This is the New Zealand National Memorial to Rear Admiral Richard E. Byrd, USN who was a famous American polar explorer and aviator.  More interesting information about his life here.

The video then does a 360deg pan before finishing on the Wellington CBD 

I'll endeavour to add video footage here

When working in the city I used to run from parliament along the waterfront and to the top of Mt Victoria during my lunch break.  A series of steps takes you straight up the side of the hill.  A good workout.  No… I didn't work in parliament…. an adjacent building!

My next destination was my parent former home in the suburb of Highbury.  It's where we lived during my secondary school years. 

Leaving Mt Victoria I lost my sense of direction and allowed the GPS to take me down via the tight and winding road.  On reaching the bottom of the hill I discovered the motorhome appeared to be suck in first gear.  Damned embarrassing driving in busy city traffic in first!!!  Eventually I resolved the matter and continued up Kent Terrace and around the Basin Reserve which is the green square near Arrow C in the map below.  The secondary school I attended (Wellington Boys College is adjacent to the Basin Reserve.

wgtn

B - Mt Victoria

C - Wellington College

A - Highbury

Heading west up Aro Rd I eventually reached Raroa Rd and some narrow and winding sections.  Eventually I managed to park on the road above our old house.  The trees have grown over the last 60 years!!!

IMG_20221017_082638_HDR   

Our old house in the middle right with Mt Victoria on the skyline.

Having satisfied my curiosity I headed north out of the city retracing my route back towards Levin.  I turned onto State Highway 47 just south of Levin heading towards Palmerston North. 

Approximately five kilometres from Palmerston North I turned left onto Whitmore Road and halfway down the road I stopped to take a photo of a small dilapidated bungalow. 

IMG_20221017_103036

This was my first home.  My father had been transferred from Waiouru to Linton Camp.  In those days there was no housing for families and he rented this property.  The army camp was a 500 metre walk across the farmer's fields.  My mother told me the house was infested with mice and she had 20+ traps inside that constantly went off 24/7.

By the time Jan and I were posted to Linton Camp there were married quarters and I went to look at them next.

IMG_20221017_102141

IMG_20221017_102208

It was rather disappointing to see them so run down.  The army now has a policy of encouraging service personnel to purchase their own home and live in the local community.  I think that is a good policy but seeing the current condition of the married quarters does sadden me.

Continuing on to Palmerston North I found a campsite beside the Manawatu River.

2 comments :

Pip and Mick said...

A good trip down "Memory Lane". I like that road.

Mick

Jenny said...

Ah, memories aplenty for you.