Wednesday 12 February 2020

What’s been happening?

The answer is quite a lot.  We borrowed the courtesy trailer from the nearest hardware store using it to bring home more materials for the various projects.  Mostly it was timber and polycarbonate sheets.  The latter were cut to size using the portable jig saw with a fine tooth metal blade.  I managed to fit 90% of the first sheet to the porch roof before the heat drove me inside.  The sheet is secure, but not water sealed.  Not that this is an issue with the current high temperatures and dry conditions. 

IMG_4314

I’ve decided to only work outdoors during the mornings when it cooler; and that is a relative term at the moment.

The second sheet might be installed tomorrow morning, leaving the sealing and flashing for the following morning.

After looking at the linear price of timber architrave in the hardware I decided to purchase cheaper standard sized pine which I will mould into architrave using the thicknesser and router.  Jan has selected a glass pane timber door for the lounge room.  I’ve fitted the hinges and given the door it’s first undercoat.  The door frame has also be made from pine I’ve cut to the required width on the bench saw and then run through the thicknesser.  It’s now awaiting a first undercoat.  This left the workshop full of sawdust and wood shaving so I spent an hour removing all of it through the dust extractor.

IMG_4316

More painting is scheduled for tomorrow morning.  It will probably take me five days to complete the painting and have the door ready for installation.

The postman delivered one of my recent purchases from China.  Jan and I debated whether to dip the package in disinfectant and unpack it with surgical gloves but in the end decided the risk was probably minimal.  It contained the blade sharpening jig.

IMG_4310

I’m close to hopeless at sharpening blades freehand which is why I have the jig for the wood chisels and hand plane.  This jig clamps to a desk top or bench and is fitted with four whetstones of various grades from 180 to 1500.  The blade gets clamped into the jaws and the angle of the whetstones is adjusted before running the stone across the blade at a constant angle.  I haven’t tried using it as Jan informs me all her knives are sharp.

2 comments :

Jenny said...

Its certainly been hot over Your way, no wonder you have to pace yourself with outdoor chores, and keep drinking water! What's the update on the local fires, all under control now, we hope.

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Jenny,
Another scorcher of a day today. The outdoor tasks can wait until it's cooler. It appears there has been a lull with the bush fires here on the west coast. Torrential rain on the east coast has solved most of their fire problem. It appears we have gone from drought to fire and now flood. :-)