Wednesday 1 April 2020

Chicken

This lockdown is getting to be lonely and tedious. Only this morning I was talking to the microwave and toaster about the situation. The fridge was cold and distant whilst the hotplate saw the whole thing as a gas. Fortunately the iron indicated there was nothing pressing, whilst the vacuum cleaner told me to suck it up.

Click <here> for Coronavirus Rhapsody.

I’ve never paid too much attention to food.  It gets put in front of me and I eat everything on the plate.  On the rare occasions I have to cook for myself I choose the easy options and will sometimes take the top off the can and eat it cold.  Fortunately I’m married to an excellent cook with a great imagination (when it comes to food).  When we lived on Waiouru Jan would often use the slow cooker producing stews, roasts, bread and cakes.  The advantage of the cooker was it used very little power and everything would cook whilst we were on the move. 

Being cooped up at home means I’ve more time to watch what Jan is doing.  Yesterday she cooked a roast chicken in the slow cooker.  We each had a leg for dinner whilst all the juices were drained into a bowl and placed in the fridge.  This morning these had formed a jelly which Jan placed in the freezer telling me they would go into a stew at some later date.  Jan stripped the meat from the remains of the chicken and it will be going into a chicken and pasta curry we are having tonight.  The bones and remains of the carcass were placed back into the slow cooker with some water and vegetables.  They will become a soup.  I was actually rather impressed with the comprehensive use of the chicken.  Probably because in the past all I do is eat!

IMG_4364   

The cabinet project is making slow progress. I’m attempting to make it last whilst we are in social isolation.

The media must try hard to find whingers.  Today there were two articles about people who have been placed in 14 day enforced quarantine in one of the 5 Star hotels.  One woman was complaining her two year old was a fussy eater and was refusing the supplied food.  They wanted special food.  I can assure the parents that their two year old won’t be nearly as fussy tomorrow on an empty stomach.  Another woman was complaining the hotel wouldn’t supply her with sanitary pads and tampons.  I didn’t realise hotels had them on the menu?  Perhaps she could order them online and have them delivered using the supplied FREE wifi.  If the supplied food is such poor quality perhaps the government could supply them with army 24 hour ration packs.  I remember the meat in the tin of Irish Stew was mostly grizzle and fat. The grains of rice had an impervious water resistant coating and the biscuits were so hard our dog could chew on one for a day.   The American ration packs we had in Iran were labelled MRE (Meals Ready to Eat).  We quickly realised it actually meant Meals Rejected by Ethiopia!

5 comments :

Pip and Mick said...

Our Sunday chicken has done us, so far
Roast chicken, chicken pasta with the left over greens and a few sundried tomatoes, last night sweet potato and chicken hash, there's at least another two meals out of the meat and a tub of stock that I let simmer away on top of the stove. Guaranteed to have a curry, possibly a risotto, then I'm not sure about the remainder, maybe stuffed pancakes.
It's a shame our freezer isn't bigger as it's already full.
Pip

Jenny said...

You've got wonderful wife there Tom, but you already know that, looking after you (putting up with you) as she does. I also make soup from a chicken carcass, always seems a sensible thing to do. The o ly trouble is that Robin's not really a soup person like me.

Jo Lodge said...

Good morning from a sunny UK.

Jan does exactly what I do and save everything for another meal. Thank you for the new updating address. I have added it to my list on my blog. Pleased you are both keeping alright. We are fine locked in the Arm and plan to stay that way for the foreseeable future.
Love and hugs Jo & Keith xxx

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Jo,
Stay safe..... Lots of stupid people out there doing crazy things. Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection springs to mind!!!

Tom and Jan said...

Pip,

If you're not careful Mick will start clucking and attempt to lay an egg :-)