Thursday 30 April 2020

The News

The news of my demise has been greatly exaggerated.  The devil has his hands full with the current pandemic and wasn’t up for a second major challenge!

Yes, it has been some time since the last post (and I don’t mean that as the sound of a final departure… I meant the blog!).  Back on 21 March I dug the shed soak pit hole and in doing that managed to pull my back (yet again).  I soldiered on ignoring the pain and wrote a few more posts.  However it eventually reached the point where the only relief was to lie horizontally and that’s how I’ve been for the last fortnight.

Yesterday Jan went to the local chemist and asked for some anti-inflammatory only to be informed it wouldn’t be wise as I’m also on blood pressure medication.  I did attempt to make an appointment with my GP, but remembered him telling me at the last consultation he was away in Vietnam during April eating bats and deep fried grasshoppers.  Well maybe not the last bit! 

Today I decided to get up and walk around.  Some waist height gardening was completed and a few items placed in the rubbish bin. 

I suppose if there is a positive to all of this then it’s the fact it happened during isolation.  Compared with many others, the nation has fared rather well. 

Untitled-3

  • 6746 confirmed cases
  • 5685 recovered
  • 90 deaths

In Western Australia the statistics are

  • 551 confirmed cases
  • 500 recovered
  • 8 deaths

Some of the factors contributing to the low national figures are

  • Federal and State government response
  • Geographical isolation (island with no land borders)
  • Low population density

The Federal and State government should be commended for their efforts.  Prompt and enforced social isolation rules were mostly effective.  Here in West Australia the state was divided into regions and only essential travel allowed between those regions.

Obviously the virus had to reach Australia from overseas.  The government reacted by ensuring all arriving personnel were placed into 14 day supervised quarantine on arrival.  It appears many of the cases originated from cruise ships.  It will be interesting to see how and if; the cruise industry recovers.

Because I’ve been on my back I haven’t accessed the pc.  However I wanted to read other blogs and thought “I’ll use my tablet”.   The tablet isn’t configured for blogs (no bookmark) so when I typed in Narrowboat Waiouru the first hit was our old blog address.  It was for sale by auction or for the fixed price of £179.  I was rather surprised.  Was our blog that popular? 

Until next time

No comments :