Thursday 2 April 2020

Slow Progress

We’ve completed our second week of self imposed isolation venturing out only once to shop for essentials at the supermarket.  This isolation is dragging and so I pinned a map of the world up on the wall and told Jan to throw a dart at it.  Wherever it hit I would take her there for a fortnight’s holiday after the virus has abated.   Apparently we are spending two weeks behind the fridge!

Slow progress is being made on the new cabinet.  Mostly because of a shortage of materials.  I managed to rip a length of timber off a piece of Jarrah that had previously been biscuit joined together.  The cut length was then passed through the Thicknesser to provide two parallel surfaces.

IMG_4367

The cut length is only 5mm thick and flops around like a Rolf Harris Wobble Board (should I mention his name?).  To give the kickboard (that’s what it’s going to be) some strength I’ve glued some scrap Jarrah to the reverse side.

IMG_4368

The gaps between the pieces of scrap are to allow the kickboard to butt against the black plastic feet.  The feet have removable plastic clips which secure the kickboard to the feet.  The problem is the clips aren’t sufficiently long, which meant I needed to make some packers.

IMG_4365

Now the clip has sufficient clearance

IMG_4366

The kickboard will then be glued to the four packers

IMG_4370

Not glued at the moment as I don’t want to damage the kickboard.  Actually it will be one of the last pieces fitted to the cabinet.

Jenny you don’t fool me with these ‘sisterhood’ comments.  Jan knows how lucky she is to have me Smile

No comments :