Saturday 8 August 2020

Poor Purchase

The 12V air compressor has failed.  It died whilst I was attempting to inflate one of the 4x4 tyres.  An Ebay purchase and; of course; the 12 month warranty expired a year ago.  What’s annoying is I must have only used the compressor 10-12 times. 

I stripped it down to see if I could make any repairs but it quickly became obvious there were a number of issues.  First the circuit board is fried.  Then I noticed the poorly soldered connection on the negative wire.

Untitled-1 

Less than half the copper strands are connected.

I also discovered the bolts holding the heads onto the cylinders were only finger tight.  The entire piston, cylinder and head assembly has been bouncing around on loose bolts.  This has mangled the seals on the cylinder heads.

Untitled-2Untitled-3

Obviously I should have checked all the connections before using it.

Being a hoarder, I’ve salvaged what parts I think might come in useful at some later date.

Untitled-4

  • Power lead
  • On/Off switch
  • Air pressure release valve
  • Two air filters
  • Air hose

 

    No comments :