Thursday 16 December 2021

A Delivery

It was so hot yesterday I gave up working in the shed and retreated to the air-conditioned front room.  More progress has been made on the workbench with all the drawers completed.  They need adjusting and two require handles.  The 16 wooden drawer knobs I saved from the old chest of drawers have been used, but I had to modify some of them to make them fit.

There have been second thoughts about fitting the Thicknesser into the bench.  The original plan was to have it on a 180deg rotating mechanism allowing it to be concealed when not required.  Last night I had second thoughts wondering if fitting it to the bench would restrict use.

P1010705 

The two lower drawers have been made and fitted in the front.  I need to adjust them and fit a some of cheap handles.  The router lift has yet to be installed. 

P1010706

The Thicknesser was planned to be positioned here and rotate into the compartment below when not required.  The four drawers have been fitted at the end of the bench with three larger drawers on the opposite side.  I’ve made some wood screw storage bins from scrap plywood.

P1010707

I’m not sure what I should do with the narrow vertical compartment beside the intended Thicknesser compartment.  Perhaps I’ll just add a base and use it as casual storage.

P1010708

My thoughts are already turning to another project.  Probably the solar water heater for the swimming pool?  However today we received a delivery.  An order from China.

P1010699

The size and weight immediately suggested the parcels contained the parts I’d ordered to convert my bike to an e-bike.  Yes, I know you can purchase e-bikes!  But they are expensive and there’s more fun in making one.

bafang

Road e-bikes in Australia (and UK) are limited to a 250Watt motor and a maximum speed of 25km/h.  I’ve bought the parts to make a pedal assisted e-bike.  This means I need to be pedalling for the motor to assist up to a maximum speed of 25km/h.   No pedalling = no assistance.  Go faster than 25km/h and no motor assistance.

What are the components

A – Central hub motor and gearing rated at 250W

B – 20Ah 36V lithium battery

C – Pedal cranks

D – Combination electric headlight and horn

E – Digital display and electronic controller

F – Chain drive

G – Various cables for gear change; hydraulic brake control and throttle

H – USB programming cable (so I can modify the factory settings).

If I’ve correctly done my research and ordering the various suppliers should have provided all the necessary components to modify the bike.

I’ve opted for a large capacity battery which should provide a maximum range of 100km.

P1010701

I hadn’t realised when I selected it, but the battery has a usb port for recharging a phone.  This might be useful if there is a problem with the bike and I need to call for assistance.

P1010702

After examining the removable mounting baseplate from the battery I realised the two mounting holes in the aluminium plate will not align with the mounting bolt holes on the bike frame.  However after turning it over I could see a further two mounting slots in a second aluminium plate.  I might be able to dismantle the battery baseplate and access these holes.

P1010703

The bike currently has 24 gears.  Eight on the rear wheel cassette and three on the central hub.  Converting the bike means I will lose the three front gears along with the derailleur replacing them with one gear.  The bike will go from 24 gears to 8.  But I will have the motor for assistance and theoretically I’ll need to exert less energy. 

The motor comes with three power setting controlled from the display controller, so I’m back to 24 gears.  However I’d also read the motor actually has nine power setting, six of which are inactive and concealed.  By purchasing the usb controller cable and downloading a configuration app for my phone I hope to access and unlock these addition six power settings.  Time will tell if my research is accurate.

Watching the domestic and UK news I noted in the UK shortages get blamed on BREXIT, whilst here it’s COVID and a lack of overseas backpacker labour.  We’re already been warmed up for the next excuse.  A shortage of Adblue diesel additive, which it’s alleged will force many freight trucks (lorries) off the roads.

 

No comments :