Friday 10 December 2021

Second Prototype

I’ve finally completed my second joinery prototype.  It’s just a question of deciding whether I should make a third prototype.

P1010694

I decided to get a bit “arty” and fixed my old army hat badge to the top of the case.  With this prototype I used concealed hinges and neodymium magnets for the catch.  Last time I cut the felt lining with a knife and as a result the edges were slightly frayed.  This time I dismantled one of Jan’s safety razors and used one of the blades.  This provided a much cleaner edge.  I also appear to have got the internal dimensions right.  The only part of the case which isn’t to my satisfaction is the join between the lid and the base.

P1010695

After two days of 40°C the mercury is back into the mid 20’s and I can return to the workshop.  Whilst I insulated the shed ceiling a walls during its construction, it faces north and the full afternoon sun hits directly on the north facing roller door making the interior rather hot.

It’s rather ironic that here in the west we are experiencing a heat wave and wild fires whilst on the opposite side of the country they have torrential rains and flooding.

2 comments :

Jenny said...

You've done a great job, you will be pleased your medals are safely stored in their own box, congratulations!

Tom and Jan said...

Not 100% satisfied Jenny. May have to be a 3rd prototype!