Saturday 18 December 2021

Sweet

I woke this morning and promptly remembered I had a dental appointment at 9AM.  There I was seated in my chair reading the news when Jan murmured “Do you feel any different?”  OK, I was rather engrossed in the news and the antenna didn’t twitch.  Then the question was repeated in slightly different terms.  Antenna started vibrating furiously and mind raced.  Jan was asking whether I felt any older!  Penny dropped.  I always try to go to the dentist on my birthday.  It’s something I carried on with after leaving the sadistic army who used to schedule your annual dental appointment on your birthday.  It was my birthday and “Oh God”….. our wedding anniversary!  Yes, we married on my birthday.  Then I remembered it was our 50th anniversary!  That’s when I surmised the dental appointment was going to be the less painful activity.  Actually I jest.  Jan appears to have taken my memory lapse in her stride.

Several months ago Jan decided to buy some small baking dishes.  There was nothing suitable in Australia and she eventually ordered them from the UK.  I did mention they look precisely the right size for individual lemon-meringue pies.  Well Jan baked two in her new dishes.

P1010709

I only got to eat one.  I haven’t eaten anything sweet for seven months and it was delicious.  Unfortunately I only got one as Jan gave the second to the dog.  I thought that was most unfair as I don’t eat the dog’s food!  Does this mean the dog and I are now equals?

Today I examined the Chinese made motor for the e-bike conversion.  After removing the cover to the gears I could see they had been a little mean with their grease.  This isn’t unusual as I’d noticed the same issue with the wheel bearing grease on the Chinese camper trailer.

P1010710

After removing the old grease I repacked the gears with good quality automotive being grease.  I also noticed the cover plate was made from thin plastic.  I need to do something about that!

The cable connectors between the motor and battery look “suspect” and I think I’ll probably replace them with a pair of yellow ‘bullet’ connectors.

P1010711

On a more positive note I’ve disassembled the battery mounting plate and realised I can probably fit the plate to the bike frame without modifying it.

P1010712

Jan and I have decided we will have a homemade version of the Wetherspoons ‘Big Breakfast’ for our anniversary meal.

13 comments :

Don said...

There can't be that many people that go to the dentist on their wedding day.

Tom and Jan said...

Don,

Just think how lucky Jan is to get someone unique :-)

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

How is the three wheeler going? have you tried it?

Dave said...

Happy Birthday and Happy wedding anniversary

Catherine H said...

Happy Anniversary, enjoy your breakfast. Most unfair that the dog got to eat the 2nd pie. Could have saved it for you for later, or was she trying to save you.

Tom and Jan said...

Brian it's Jan's three wheeler. I only have the competency to ride two wheels :-)

Tom and Jan said...

Dave it would be most appreciated if you could congratulate us two days prior as the memory is obviously failing these days :-)

Tom and Jan said...

Catherine, Jan had declared the pies a failure. That never worried me as I was raised on my mother's failures (she was an awful cook and I discovered army food was wonderful). Regrettably, it appears I now have a competitor for the position of failure consumer.

Jenny said...

Happy Birthday to you, and Happy Anniversary to you both , 50 years is a wonderful achievement. We got married on Guy Fawkes Day so Robin has no trouble remembering our anniversary.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

A belated Happy Birthday Tom and many congratulations to you both on your Golden Anniversary. Xx

Ade said...

Happy Birthday and Anniversary both, Dog is there a dog I’ve missed the dog posts!
Will have to search back.
Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year to you both.
Is there going to be a in this year this is what happened post?
Cheers

Judith nb Serena said...

Happy anniversary to you both and happy birthday to Tom. Hope you both have a good day, hope the dentist wasn't too painful.
Judith and John nb Serena

Jennie said...

Happy Anniversary to you both and Happy Birthday Tom. I hope you survived the trip to the dentisr?