Tuesday 28 December 2021

More Heat

Today we get a reprieve as the forecast is only 39°.  The previous four days have all been over 40.  Each morning Jan has only briefly entered the pool claiming to be driven out by the hot water!  Consequentially much of our time has been spent inside with all the air conditioners running.  Unlike some other suburbs we have been fortunate there have been no electrical power outages.  I have considered what action we would take if that happened.  The first task would be to get the Kipor generator operating and save all the food in the freezer.

Over Christmas we both saw the “teaser” photo on TV suggesting Catherine, Duchess of Sussex might be playing the piano. Immediate thought was “What going to happen in California?”   Later that day Harry & Meghan’s lovely family Christmas card appeared…… along with some text below which included

 …”we have made donations on your behalf to several organisations…….[organisations listed]”.  I cringed and immediately thought of Matthew Chapter 6 Verses 1 –6.  If you don’t know your bible, this is the link to the relevant part.

Matthew Chapter 6

As we now know, Catherine can play the piano.  I believe someone in California has booked Triangle lessons.  <yes… petty of me!> Smile

I’m reconsidering the project to make a solar water heater for the pool.  The cost of materials is rather high and I’m now thinking it might be better to source some second-hand solar collectors from a residential solar hot water system.  However that doesn’t mean I have nothing to do.  All the air has gone to the top of the tyre on the rear wheel of my new bike.  I shall have to dredge though the memory bank back to aged 10-12 and recall how to fix the problem.

Jan tells me Jo <nb Hadar> has been doing a rain dance for us.  It’s not working. “Try Tap Dancing instead of Waltz Jo!”

It’s 235 days since beer, chocolate or ice cream passed my lips (if anyone apart from me is counting :-).  I’ve lost 15kg and my A1c count is now 6.7, down from 7+ back in May.  The doctor seems pleased, however I’ve decided to keep losing weight with an intermediate goal of 82kg.  It hasn’t been hard and I haven’t been hungry.  All I’ve done is reduced the carbohydrate and sugar intake replacing it with protein and fats.  Jan has been eating the same as me and hasn’t lost a gram.  She considers the situation most unfair.  If we get marooned on an isolated Pacific Island then I know who will last the longest.

2 comments :

Paul (from Waterway Routes) said...

Several radiators painted black make great water warmers when plumbed in series with water pumped through them using a solar powered pump. You can mount them along the bottom of the fence in a matching dark colour so they are hardly visible. They don't have to be new either, but do flush the gunge out first!

B&Q do a good range like this:
https://www.diy.com/departments/kudox-type-11-single-panel-radiator-white-w-400mm-h-600mm-6-7kg/34700_BQ.prd

A friend with this arrangement has had to fit an off switch to stop the pump when the water gets too hot, and is trying to work out how to use the surplus warmth to pre-heat the domestic hot water.

Tom and Jan said...

Great idea Paul. But radiators in Perth are as scarce as rocking horse droppings :-) :-) Air conditioners are an entirely different matter!