Tuesday 28 March 2023

Boring Bike Stuff!

After fitting the new lithium battery into the trailer I promptly forgot to take a photo. 

P1020541

My battery mounting frame.

The three Watt meters in the trailer electrical box were then checked to ensure they worked with the new battery.  I can monitor:

  • Solar power IN
  • Alternator power IN
  • Battery consumption OUT

You will have to wait for a photo <sorry!>

Today it was ebike cleaning time.  I've decided to wax the chain instead of oiling it.  Reputably this both reduces the frequency at which the chain gets dirty and extends its life.  Rather than buy bike chain wax I made some.  My technique was to use my pocket knife to shave a standard candle and then dissolve the shaving in Shellite.  After removing the chain from the bike it went into the ultrasonic cleaner for an hour before being placed in the wax solution.

P1020553

There's a chain immersed in that 'grey' solution.  The chain spent 24 hours in the solution before drying.  The process was then repeated.

During this time the Shimano Alfine internally geared hub was stripped and cleaned.  This was the first time I'd disassembled the hub.  In the past I've done the standard oil change and cleaning fluid routine.  I've actually been servicing the hub (doing oil changes) at four times the recommended frequency.

The rear chain sprocket looked dirty so that went into the ultrasonic cleaner for an hour.  It came out looking like new

P1020545

The oil on the outside of the hub internals looked reasonably clean.  But then I only changed it two months ago.

P1020547

The hub was placed in an empty soft drink bottle full of petrol which was then placed into the ultrasonic cleaner for an hour.

P1020549P1020550

Whilst the cleaner was doing its job I cleaned and inspected the interior of the hub.  Everything looked fine.

P1020548

After cleaning, the gears looked good.

P1020552

The petrol was black.  Obviously some impurities were removed

P1020551

I wanted to know if any swarf (metal filings) had been removed during the cleaning.  I placed some magnets into the container

Untitled-1 

Oh Yes!  The magnets collected a significant amount.  I'm pleased they are no longer grinding away inside the hub.

Reassembling the hub took some time.  My old eyes can't pick out the fine details and I ended up using a magnifying glass.  The hub was then refilled with fresh gear oil.

2 comments :

Jannock said...

Tom
We spotted nb Waiouru yesterday at Hillmorton locks. She was being taken from her home marina to Hillmorton boatyard by a friend of the owners. He, not only didn't realise he'd need to pass through two locks to get there, but also couldn't find the windlasses on board ;^)

Picture appearing on Jannock blog soon as I can't post one here.

Graham

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Graham,

I believe the owners of Waiouru have a mooring in the new marina between Braunston and Hillmorton. My guess is the windlasses would be in one of the rear step compartments. :-)

Jan believes the new owners have repainted the boat along with a new cratch cover.

Many fond memories of our life onboard!

Tom