Thursday 23 March 2023

"Snagging Trip"

Those reader who have had a narrowboat built will likely know that at the end of the construction process it is usual to take a "snagging cruise".  This is when you find all the small issue that need rectifying by the builder before the boat can be consider completed.

After my recent alterations and additions to the camper trailer I decided to make a "snagging trip" to see if everything was satisfactory.  I also wanted to test the new 12V oven.  The trip proved to be a sound decision as I identified two important issues requiring rectification. 

My journey took me 200km south of Perth to the Collie Region.  I'd not previously visited the area and the snagging trip was a good opportunity to familiarize myself.

Rather than taking the southern Freeway (motorway) I opted to use the older Southwest Highway as it would provide a change in scenery.

After driving 30 minutes I stopped and turned on the new 12V oven before continuing on for another 30 minutes.  This time I placed three frozen sausage rolls into the now pre-heated over.  Jan had suggested I place the rolls in an aluminium tray instead of directly on the oven rack.  The idea was this would minimise crumbs.

After another 30 minutes I stopped for lunch at Waroona where I had piping hot rolls.   So hot that I needed my hat to get the tray out of the oven.

P1020509

Online oven reviews had suggested it would take an hour to heat pies and rolls.  However our oven does this in 30 minutes.  My belief is this is a result of the voltage step-up converter raising the voltage to 15V.

The oven is working well, although I discovered using an aluminium tray wasn't a good idea as the radiant heat had burned the bottoms of the rolls.

P1020510

Waroona is a quiet and tidy country town.

P1020511   

Half an hour later I reached the town of Harvey.  This is another pleasant country town.

P1020512

Art Deco architecture?

P1020513

Parked in the main street

P1020514

My plan was to reach Wellington Dam and camp in Wellington National Park.  Entry to the park is free but camping fees apply.  Upon reaching the road into the park I noticed a sign stating there was no mobile phone coverage in the park and camping booking had to be made online.  That was annoying as I had anticipated the park would be like others I'd previously been to where there was a pay kiosk. 

Upon attempting to book online I discovered the National Parks booking website was overloaded with a message stating "try later".  That was no good to me as there was no mobile phone coverage further on.  In the end I decided to drive on and visit the dam.  The camping issue would be solved later.

Wellington Dam was constructed during the Great Depression.  It was one of the government public works projects designed to meet a need but also provide employment and an income for those who had lost their livelihood.  The dam and reservoir are named after the Duke of Wellington.

The original dam has been raised in height twice since first constructed.  Initially it's purpose was to provide water for local irrigation.  However as it was raised in height and capacity increased it also provide town water supplies in the region.

Whilst the reservoir has been a well know and used recreational area for locals, it was the painting of the mural on the dam that made it a major attraction.  The 8000sq mtr mural by Australian painter Guido Van Helten was completed in 2021.

P1020516

The northern half of the reservoir is in the National Park and the southern half in the State Forest.  As I was unable to pay of a campsite in the National Park I decided to do some "free" camping on the southern edge of the reservoir in the State Forest.  No facilities in the forest; but that didn't bother me. 

A 6km heavily corrugated dirt track led me through the forest to the water where I found an isolated campsite.

P1020519

I'm not the first to camp here as I found an old shelter and discarded broken folding chair.

IMG_4837

I immediately realised someone old; like me; with dodgy knees could make use of the broken chair.  Cutting a hole with my pocket knife and positioning the chair over a hole provided me with a "short drop" toilet.  

P1020520

Necessity is the mother of invention Smile

Initially I thought I was alone.

P1020518  

However an evening walk revealed there were others in the far distance who had a similar idea.

IMG_4833IMG_4834IMG_4835IMG_4836

Dinner consisted of sausages, potatoes and mixed veg.  I retired to the rooftop tent at dusk and had a fitful night as it was hot and humid.  Too hot to sleep in the sleeping bag and too cold to sleep without it.

In the morning I woke to find my first major snagging issue.  The trailer battery was flat!  This wasn't exactly a surprise as I've had my suspicions about the AGM battery.  It hasn't been used much but is now at least five years old.  Last night I removed the contents of the freezer adding them to the fridge.  After turning off the freezer the electrical load was only 2.4A.  The battery had been fully charged before leaving Perth and the charge maintained by the vehicle during the trip.  Then the solar panel supplied it until dusk.  It should have been able to easily cope with the overnight load.

I need a new battery! Sad smile

There was little point in spending more nights away from home as the food in the fridge would likely start to go off.  After packing up I did my normal routine of checking the trailer lights.  That's when I discovered the left indicator light on the trailer had an intermittent connection.  Another issue identified!  A temporary repair fixed that and I started heading home via the town of Collie.

P1020517 

Collie is mainly known for its coal containing the only coalfields in West Australia.   At one time there were four thermal power stations and two coalmines around Collie.   However the move towards "green energy" has seen all but one of the power stations be decommissioned, with the last to be decommissioned in the near future. 

1 comment :

Jenny said...

You certainly found a few snags! When you purchase your new battery, you can try again and see what other issues crop up.