Saturday 25 March 2023

It started Raining

Work on the battery modifications ceased when it started raining.  Autumn must be here!

The new lithium battery had been on charge for three hours when I went to check it.  The 15A charger was resting.

P1020536

This was a good sign as it indicated the lithium battery BMS had stopped the charger from over-charging the battery.  I then checked the amp meter which had been displaying 15 Amps going into the battery.  Now it was displaying 0.2A.  Another good sign.

P1020538 

The last check was the battery voltage meter.

P1020537

When the battery is 100% whilst charging the voltage should be 14.6V

A 'rested' 100% charged battery should have a reading of 13.6V

If the meter is accurate then the voltage should slowly drop to 13.6V as the battery 'rests'.

The old battery was underneath the trailer whilst the new battery will be in the top compartment.  I'll need to extend the cables.  The cheapest price I could find for 2 metres of suitably sized red and black cables was $45.  Then I remembered seeing a set of 3.5 metre long 100A jumper cables at a special price of $39.95 in the 4WD Supacentre.  Better the $5 in my pocket.

P1020535

I made a short lead for the battery terminals with a Anderson Plug at the other end.

P1020540

The small black wire is the temperature sensor lead.

I could plug the supply positive and negative wire into one of the Anderson Plugs on top of the battery box rather than making a lead that fits to the terminals.  My reasoning for not using one of the top plugs is both top plugs could be used in the 4WD.  One to power the fridge and the other for the 12V oven.

No photos of the trailer wiring as it's still raining.

3 comments :

Davidss said...

I have also used cheap boost leads as a source for wiring required to pass high current. In my case the source was Tesco. I bought the last two on the shelf with a reduced price sticker, then low and behold the next visit showed they had restocked, at the same reduced price, so I bought those two as well!
In the UK the cheap boost leads tend to be copper coated aluminium, crimped into one half of copper coated steel spring clips. As I have also invested in a cheap crimper I can remake the cable terminations in the style that suits me.

Regards.

Tom and Jan said...

Would you be from Yorkshire or Scotland? :-)

The leads I bought are copper with crimped bulldog clips.

Davidss said...

Neither Yorkshire or Scotland, fortunately :-)