Tuesday 7 March 2023

Chinese Embassy Calling!

Over the last 10 days my phone has regularly rung and when answered I hear "Chinese Embassy" followed by several minutes of Chinese.  As I don't speak Chinese I was rather curious about the calls.  You will have probably already guessed; it's a scam targeting overseas Chinese!  Apparently the scammers have identified particular postal zones containing a higher than average Chinese population.  The purposes of the call is to frighten the Chinese speaking recipient with a threat of immediate punishment over some offence committed by them (or a relative) in China.  They must pay the fine immediately to avoid dire consequences.  I thought I might be able to block the number but it's different each time.

This next one isn't a scam, but anyone taking it up should be aware of the pitfalls.

West Australia is desperately short of workers; including the public service.  Police, nurses and teachers are required.  The Minister of Police is currently in the UK on a recruitment campaign and is apparently generating local considerable interest.  Photos of endless barmy summer days, large bungalows with twin garages and home swimming pools, sun kissed beaches, wide open spaces, etc.  Higher wages and an idyllic lifestyle.  What the minister isn't telling potential applicants is:

  • 7% of sworn police officers resigned last year and a further 1% retired.  There are reasons for an abnormally high attrition rate.
  • Salaries might be higher.  But so is the cost of living.   
  • The current housing market is extremely tight.
  • People with a trade in the construction sector can make good money….. If they can find somewhere to live!

Anyone overseas who is thinking of emigrating to West Australia in the current economic environment needs to do their research. 

And for something more interesting.  I have completed the lean-to over the pool equipment behind the workshop.

P1020491

Brian, my laptop came with Windows 10 pre-installed.  I copied over it with my existing Windows 8.1 because I didn't want to reinstall all my other software.  As the laptop hardware is capable of running Window 11 I don't need to "slim it down".  However it's handy to know it can be done!

Dave, that worked and the small Windows icon is now hidden behind my old 'Start' button.  Thanks for the tip.

No comments :