Monday 29 June 2020

Day One of Two

One shouldn’t really start a new project until the earlier is completed.  However I made an except today….. Actually I appear to usually make the exception.  Today was the first day of fitting the Bullbar to the Isuzu.  You would think removing the factory trim and grill would be easy.  Particularly as I’ve previously done it to fit the insect mesh.  Age appears to be an issue as I couldn’t remember where all the hidden clips were spending three hours just removing the grill.  It was a bloody job!  Probably because my aging skin is thin and the prescription blood thinners results in me leaking like a sieve.

Eventually I reached to stage where everything that needed to be removed had been removed!

P1010033 

From this point onwards I need to carefully follow the bullbar manufacturers instructions.  That proved to be somewhat more difficult than anticipated.  The bullbar is manufactured in Portugal and the instructions appear to be written in portlish.

The You Tube video from “Low Range Nick” which he made fitting his bar proved to be quite useful.  although he also doesn’t cover everything.  By the end of the first day I have the mounting brackets and winch cradle fitted.

P1010034 

All the nuts and bolts are only finger tight….. because that’s what the instructions tell you to do!

I think I’m about halfway through the project.  There were moments today when I questioned my logic in deciding to fit the bar myself rather than paying the $500 installation fee to the dealer. 

Don, IMHO 14 day quarantine for all international arrivals is a good move on the part of the NZ Government.  Marilyn makes the same point.  Today’s news was those who refuse testing in Victoria are to do an additional 10 days of quarantine raising the total time to 24 days.  Remember this quarantine period is conducted in a hotel with all meals, accommodation, internet, etc paid for by the government (ie the taxpayer…. ME!)  30% of the Victorian arrivals have refused to be tested.  In NSW the figure is 3%.  In early March the federal government told all residents not to go overseas which means I’m at a lose to understand why almost four months later we have Australian residents returning.  Obviously returning wasn’t a priority, and neither is being tested.   They are fortunate that I’m not in charge as I’d be telling them “Test Now…. Or get back on the aircraft and return to your point of departure!”  Bet they’d all opt for testing.

Mick, I should have written “any illegal mass gathering”.

David,  Jeez I though I was a big cynic Smile 

My instinct tells me the UK government has opted for a policy of accepting a manageable leave of infection and fatalities rather than attempting to snuff out the pandemic.      The risky part of your ‘lab-rat’ theory is having been infected during their mass gathering the ‘lab-rats’ go back and infect  the general public who are attempting to maintain social distancing. 

One unreported symptom of COVID-19 is obviously diarrhoea.    There’s now a second round of panic buying toilet paper in Victoria.  Rationing is back! 

3 comments :

Alf said...

Regarding the toilet paper, when we in the UK went into "Lockdown" we also has a run on toilet paper, coupled with the Government advice to cough or sneeze into your elbow which led someone to remark that it just goes to prove that the vast majority of the general public do not know their Arse from their elbow !!

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

I hope you have a good stock of Loo rolls in, I understand there may be a run on them. I think the UK Government is between a rock and a hard place. Lockdown would probably never snuff it out and if we did carry on like that the countries economy would probably be in a very bad place, I hat to think what the unemployment numbers will be like by Christmas. Someone said we should do the same as NZ with people coming into the country. We have more people arrive at Stansted than NZ have in total. I don't think we can hope to keep it out but as you have probably seen on the new we have some right dickheads who think its all a joke, a bit like the States.

Jo Lodge said...

Hi Tom and Jan.
As always a great posting. I hope the bull bar fits okay and it does not drive you bonkers whilst doing it?
We are still in lockdown in the Arm and are expecting to stay that way for the rest of the season, because none of us feels it is safe enough to open up yet. We have elderly and poorly people living here, so need to be careful. We are both fine though thankfully. The mass gatherings has been a huge issue here. people seem to think it is all over and some think it never started at all. We have taken the decision to not move again this year.

You both stay safe and well.
Jo & Keith x