Monday 2 November 2020

Another fish story

This tale is only being told because I’m rather confident none of our blog readers live nearby.

Whilst we were living on NB Waiouru Jan discovered an Aldi product we both came to enjoy.  It’s ALDI’s Salmon Wellington.

salmon1

It was available year around in the UK but is only available in the months leading to Christmas here in Australia.  This morning we went to the local ALDI and bought five.  Actually I suggest to Jan she buy all of them, however she thought freezer space might be a problem.  Obviously we need to repack the freezer Smile

Last year I carefully read the reverse of the packaging and was bemused by the information which stated the product was produced in Poland from salmon caught in ‘Polish Atlantic waters’.  My geography may not be the best, but I’m reasonably confident Poland is nowhere near the Atlantic Ocean.  This year I’ve again read the back of the packaging.

salmon2

This year the salmon has been sources from Norwegian fish farms where the fish are raised in large pens for up to 2½ years where they are fed a controlled diet.  Norway has some of the largest salmon farms in the world and also owns salmon farms in Scotland and Canada. What the diet of farmed salmon consists of depends upon the website you visit.  One article stated wild salmon get their pink coloured flesh from the krill and shrimp they eat.  Domestic salmon aren’t fed krill or shrimp and their flesh is grey.  It’s then coloured using synthetic astaxanthin.    The bottom line for me was most articles stated the final product was fit for human consumption.

Turning to my pilot training.  The FIMI drone came with a set of instruction on how to prepare the drone and use the flight controls.  However I did come upon three potential problems.  The first was I couldn’t get the controller to connect (wifi pair) to the drone.  The included instructions didn’t cover this point.  Eventually I discovered which buttons to push, including a small obscure button on the drone. 

Then I discovered the camera gimbal had to be calibrated.  Again this wasn’t in the instructions.  You Tube was most helpful.  Finally the compass needed to be calibrated.  You guessed it… Nothing in the included instructions!  However the drone is now ready to fly.  

3 comments :

Jenny said...

That Salmon Wellington looks delicious! Wonder if it is available here, I'll have to look it up.

Tom and Jan said...

Jenny, you have Aldi in NZ???

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Jenny is a good cook - I am sure she could make that herself. I know I'll be having a go at it!
Cheers, Marilyn