Saturday 7 November 2020

Blood and Gore!

 This morning several hours were spent cleaning the drone after it was attacked during my first test flight.

The flight controls had been set for “novice” as I didn’t want it to fly away and be lost.  Actually I confined myself to ‘up & down’, ‘left & right’ and rotating. 

This is the drone about to take off

There’s a problem attempting to fly using the local park.  The grass is quite long which means the drone has sunk down into it.  I have ordered a landing pad, but it has not yet been delivered.

Well I got quite adventuresome and took the drone to an altitude of 90 metre.  It will go to 120 metres in “novice” mode, but I’m not quite that adventurous! Smile

The drone makes a buzzing sound from the four propellers and at 90 metres I’m more hearing than seeing it in the bright sunlight.  Looking at the screen on the controller I could see black spots appearing in front of the drone camera.  That concerned me and I decided to bring it down to 3 metres.  The buzzing started to get louder as the drone got lower.  That’s when I realised it had been surrounded by a swarm of bees.  Either they were attracted to the drone noise or were attempting to see it off.  Well I wasn’t going near the drone whilst the bees were buzzing around, so I landed it some distance from me and turned off the motors.  After waited several minutes for the bees to depart I walked over to examine my new drone.  The body and rotor blades were splattered in blood and gore.  Obviously some of the bees had flown through the propellers and be chopped into pieces.  There’s nothing I’ve read that indicated drones can be attacked by bees so this has been a revelation.  I need to find another “bee free” location to practice my pilot skills.  But not before the landing pad is delivered.

One accessory has been delivered.  The storage case.

The case appears to be well constructed.

Below is a ‘rough cut’ first video with no soundtrack.  It’s about 3 minutes long and is High Definition 40Mbs.  Some of the footage is from the Xiaomi Action Camera mounted on a tripod.  Some from the drone camera and some from an android phone screen capture App I downloaded.  the latter shows what I see on the controller screen

File size approx 750MB


2 comments :

Mike Griffin said...

Excellent, some of the canal Vlogs I follow, have produced some excellent results with drones. Yours looks easy to fly, am impressed.

Tom and Jan said...

Mike I am a complete novice. Having looked at the raw video I've realised I rotated the drone far too quickly. Hopefully I will learn with experience.