Monday 30 November 2020

Water

The water system on the outback camper trailer is as useful as a chocolate teapot!  Perhaps that’s unsurprising, given it’s designed and made in China.

P1010213

It has multiple problems

  • The manual pump has a very small capacity which means you exert a considerable amount of effort to extract a small volume of water
  • The handle has already come off once resulting in me Sikaflexing it back into place
  • The nozzle fills with dust when on the move.
  • It’s impossible to establish how much water is in the 50 litre tank.

I’ve decided to remove the pump and replace it with a vertical clear length of hose which can be used as a sight gauge.

I’m going to remove the bung from the bottom of the tank and replace it with a gravity fed hose.  That proved to be not as easy as I had anticipated.  The bung had an unusual thread which resulted in me visiting variously outlets looking for suitable parts.  Eventually I managed to purchased all the required items at an air and hydraulic coupler distributor.

P1010212 

Original bung on the left.  The elbow, hose tail and food grade hose will go under the trailer with the black valve on the other end of the hose.  When I want water it will gravity feed from the bottom of the tank.  A very simple system which should mean few problems.

Unless something goes desperately wrong I won’t be drinking the water from the tank.  I take treated water in sealed containers for drinking.  The water from the tank is used for cooking, washing dishes and showering.

2 comments :

Dave said...

Agreed that gravity feed is simplest but.........

Have you considered if the new elbow & valve is sufficiently protected from accidental damage when on the move or being turned on through being hit/damage (or left on)

Either could leave you with an empty tank.

I know you aren't drinking it but in an emergency you could, or refill a leaking vehicle radiator so guarding against accidetal loss is a good idea

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Dave,

Yes I have considered protecting the hose and valve. I'll post photos of the new setup shortly.