Wednesday 3 May 2023

Awning and Rooftop Tent

My Brother-in-Law kindly called in and assisted me lift the new clamshell rooftop tent onto the trailer.  We used the same technique employed to remove the old tent.

P1020620

I must be getting old as it was quite a struggle (for me) to lift the tent onto the timber lifting frame.  Then I repositioned the lid opening catches from the side to the rear before fitted the ladder supports.

P1020634

The tent was then 'jiggled around' (ie positioned) to ensure all the securing bolts were aligned with the holes in the trailer lid. 

This morning I managed to tighten all but one securing nut on the inside of the lid.

Brian (nb Harnser) left a comment correctly pointing out that Voltage drop needs to be measured under load.  I knew that but (hangs head in shame) couldn't be bothered as I needed to raise the trailer lid to reach the isolator switch and everything was piled on top of the lid.  I corrected that today.

P1020636

When the panel produced 2.25A there was less than one Volt drop

P1020637

However you can see the Volts momentarily dropped to 10.96V when the Amps rose to 4.25A. 

I'm starting to think there might be an issue using the Projecta DC-DC Charger with the Lithium battery.

The other completed task was the fitting of the modified 'down' poles to the Batwing awning

P1020639 

It's not possible to do a trial deployment of the awning as the trailer is against the neighbours fence.  It will have to wait until my next trip to see if the concept works.

1 comment :

Tom and Jan said...

Thanks for the offer Mick. However I've purchased a lithium compatible DC-DC charger using some of my store credit.