Saturday 13 May 2023

Busy Week

Busier than a one armed paper hanger during the last week.  The trailer electrical re-wiring is now almost completed.  Wiring for the new rooftop tent has commenced.  I made new brackets for the shower tent.  The original brackets resulted in the tent only being chest high when deployed.  I want the tent higher but not higher than the rooftop tent otherwise it wouldn't fit through the garage.  The new design increased the height but also enables it to be lowered when travelling.

P1020663

It's been a case of numerous trips to the local hardware store for nuts and bolts.  Somewhat frustrating when you want two bolts and they come in a a packet of six.  Or you want six and they come in a packet of four.  Still, the surplus nuts and bolts may be useful for some future project.

P1020665

In the high position

P1020666

Tent extended ready to be opened

P1020669

Stowed position ready for transit.

After the poor two-way radio coverage during the last trip I decided to purchase a better UHF antenna.  Research suggested an antenna from manufacturer RFI would be the best option.  Their antennas are used by the emergency services and mining companies.  More research resulted in a purchase from a local retailer with me option for the 'Town & Country Pack'.  This has a base mounting and two antenna.   A 2.1 dBi and a 5.1dBi.  Both screw onto the mounting which I've fitted to the passenger side of the bullbar

P1020670

Originally I had the cable from the antenna to the radio routed through the front grill (left arrow).  Sleeping on it overnight I realised that might be an error of judgement.  If I ever needed to remove the grill the cable would be an obstacle.  The next morning I re-routed the cable avoiding the grill (right arrow).  It was a slight hassle getting the cable though the 4WD firewall and connected to the radio which is mounted behind the trim in the passenger side footwell.  I'm getting too darned old and inflexible to assume the necessary positions for these confined spaces. Sad smile

I've decided the new rooftop tent should have 12V power inside and have ordered a LED strip light and usb port, along with a switch.  Of course this means I need to run a power cable from the trailer into the tent.  The trailer part of the wiring is complete.

P1020664

Cable terminal at end of trailer

P1020668

Inside the trailer lid.  I've run the cable in flexible conduit which I secured to the metal frame of the lid.  The cable has been terminated with a 12V cigarette plug as I could feel (I can't see it) the cap over a 12V socket in the back of the trailer.   However when I removed the cap (by feel) the plug couldn't be inserted.  More feeling around on my part suggest this actually isn't a 12V socket but rather a dual usb socket <grrrr>   More work!

Meanwhile I've started on running the cable into the rooftop tent 

No comments :