Thursday 18 May 2023

Finished (hopefully!)

The last component required to complete the camper trailer rewiring arrived in the post this morning and by late afternoon everything was finished (hopefully).

It's been a gradual job over several days to glue the corrugated conduit to the ceiling panel of the rooftop tent.  I'd been to the local electronics shop and purchased a small plastic junction box on which I planned to mount the USB charging port and a switch for the cheap LED strip light. 

P1020676

The charging port beside the lid to the junction box. 

Both the box and LED strip light were then glued to the edge of the tent ceiling panel and wired.

P1020678

P1020679

I decided the switch would control both the light and the charging port.  My logic is, I don't want to accidentally leave a device being charged when the tent is unoccupied.  I'm always likely to turn off the light before leaving the tent which means the charging ports will also be off.

I've used a press switch with a LED light.  Probably unnecessary as the strip light will be on if the switch is on.

P1020681

The strip light produces just enough light to see inside the tent.

P1020682

I also ordered two red LED strip lights and have glued magnets to the rear of them before connecting them to a cigarette plug.  The only time they will be used is if I need to cook when it's dark.  They can be positioned over the tailgate kitchen.  Using red light doesn't attract the insects

P1020680

There is a law which states "If you don't have it…. You will need it!"  And "If you have it then it won't get used!" For several years I've been considering fitting a winch to the 4WD.  They are expensive and I've never needed one to date during all my outback trips.  However this next trip includes crossing the Simpson Desert, which has over 1000 sand dunes.  If I don't have a winch I might regret it!

Today I noticed the local 4WD Supacentre outlet was selling their Chinese made 12V 12000lb winch at half price.  I still had some store credit from the return of the original rooftop tent so I splashed out on a winch.

P1020677

I've obviously just created more work for myself!

No comments :