Thursday 4 May 2023

Changing the Charger

Whilst the Projecta 25Amp DC-DC charger will charge the Lithium battery using the AGM setting I noticed there was a potential issue whilst watching the Battery Monitoring System display.  The display would show 35Amps going from the charger to the battery and after about a minute the charger would stop working before restarting this cycle.  My assumption is the "greedy" lithium battery was attempting to take more power than the Projecta charger could supply and consequentially the charger temporarily stopped working.  The charger does recharge the battery but it does concern me that it appears to be struggling.

I decided to use some of my store credit and purchase a lithium compatible DC-DC charger with a solar MPPT controller.  The store had 25A and 40A models.  As the lithium battery will easily accept 40A I chose it.

P1020644

The store was also having a sale day on solar panels.  Our existing solar panel is rated at 150W and produces 4A when correctly aligned and in good sunlight.  I find it heavy to get in and out of the trailer storage compartment and special attention needs to be taken to ensure it isn't damaged in transit.

There were two folding solar blankets on special.  A 120W and 200W.  The 200W was selling for $229 but if you purchased it in combination with a 6 metre solar power lead it was $178.  No… I don't understand the logic of the pricing.  I bought one.

P1020630

The solar blanket is slightly larger than a laptop bag and contains six solar panels.  Most people appear to either lay them flat on the ground or drape them across their vehicle windscreen.  I don't like either option and am considering how I might make some type of folding stand

The cable looks to be good quality

P1020631

During the last outback trip one of the trailer tail lights failed.  It's a sealed unit and replacement was the only option.

P1020640

Two replacements were delivered today.  Of course they are a different size and that necessitated drilling new mounting bolt holes in the trailer. 

P1020641

I haven't been able to fit the last securing nut that holds the new rooftop tent on top of the trailer.  It's a combination of factors….. All due to my age and physical limitations.  It's not critical and can wait until our eldest grandson arrives next month.  The good news it it hasn't stopped me from opening the tent and completing the interior fit out.

A piece of shade cloth has been laid on the base of the bed box.  The idea is this will aid airflow

P1020650

Next the original felt base cloth that came with the tent was refitted. 

P1020652

Hopefully this is sufficient to minimise the build-up of condensation under the mattress.  Whilst the mattress is made of 70mm thick foam its cover has a vinyl base

P1020653

I added a 30mm foam topper pad.  My back will probably appreciate it Smile

P1020654

Then I covered everything with an old blanket

P1020655

Tent in the open position with the windows, door and hood rolled away

P1020656

Time to go and check on the awning modifications and see if it can be fitted to the base of the tent.

No comments :