Monday 15 May 2023

Chinese Embassy & eBay

How many phone calls from the Chinese Embassy will it take for them to realise their threats to my relatives back in China will not force me to pay the damned fine?  Now eBay has started contacting me to advise they are concerned a $500 gift card which been purchased using my eBay account and I need to contact them immediately to stop the payment if this wasn't me!

My phone rarely gets used as I can't remember the number (who calls themself?).  I always give out Jan's number because I do remember that!  Somehow my number has been sold to scammers and I'm receiving all these nuisance calls.

There were two deliveries today.  Jan's new air fryer and a phone cable.  The air fryer came all the way from the UK as it's not available in Australia.  Unfortunately there was a problem which required my expertise.

P1020674P1020675

Yes…. the UK plug needed to be replaced with an AS/NZ version.  

Why the phone cable?  You may recall I purchased a 1500W inverter and remote control only to discover the remote control would not work with my newer version of the inverter.  The inverter has a RJ12 socket on the control panel beside the ON/OFF switch.  My assumption is eventually a new remote control will be produced.  However I started wondering whether I could make one.  This resulted in me purchasing an RJ12 cable from Aliexpress.  Why Aliexpress?  Well it was actually rather hard to find a local supplier or they were expensive.  Obviously home phones are becoming obsolete.

P1020672P1020673 

The cable contains six wires and I'm guessing a combination of some of them will activate the inverter remotely.  I just need to identify the required wires.  Watch this space as one of three things will happen.

1.  I'll be unsuccessful

2.  I'll make a working remote control

3.  I'll "fry" the inverter.

Hopefully not the last one. 

2 comments :

Catherine H said...

Curious as to what was special about the air fryer in the UK.

Tom and Jan said...

Gosh Catherine you do ask technical questions :-) I just eat the food! Jan informs me this is a newer model which has both a top and bottom element. Her old one only has the top element.