Saturday 11 November 2023

Another Idea Moment

Until last night my Maglite torch conversion project involved making a sleeve out of timber.  The exterior of the sleeve would be the diameter of the inside of the torch and I would drill a hole through the length of the sleeve the same diameter as the lithium batteries.

Whilst sleeping last night I had another idea.   Instead of using timber perhaps I could use some of the various pvc pipe offcuts which I'd kept for one of those "you might need this one day" times.

P1030547

I might be onto something with the idea.  Four small pieces were cut from the black reticulation hose and fitted onto the batteries

P1030548

The blue piece of pvc pipe fits snuggly inside the torch and the white piece fits into the blue.  The batteries fit into the white section.

P1030549

Then I remembered I had another box of electronic bits and pieces I might need one day.  In the box was a 240V Ac to 9V DC adapter

P1030540

We have an old 12V lead acid battery which is dead and I decided to take it to the local recycling centre in the adjacent suburb.  As I was dropping it off in the battery section I noticed four power tool lithium batteries.  I popped them in the back of the vehicle.  It's not stealing…. This is a "recycling centre" and I'm recycling the batteries. Smile

P1030542

After pulling the batteries apart I had 28 Li-on 18650 cells.  Each of them needs to be tested to establish which are "dead" and what is the storage capacity of the remainder.

I'm using my iMax tester which is powered by an old computer power supply which I have tricked into working by thinking it's connected to a computer

P1030543

P1030545

Each battery has to be charged, then discharged, before charging again.  The second charge will give me a readout of the capacity.  Doing all the batteries is likely to take 7-10 days.

Meanwhile Australia Post delivered the new bike cranks and pedal ordered from Aliexpress. 

P1030541

I disassembled one of the pedals to check if it was adequately greased.  It was!  Each pedal has three bearings and is far superior to the cheap pedals that came with the bike.

No comments :