Saturday 4 November 2023

Keelung to Taipei

What to eat for dinner?   I wandered around the night market looking at the food stalls.

P1030486P1030487

P1030484

The "Port Large Intestine/Salted Vegetable and Pig's Blood Soup" looked interesting

P1030488

However I decided to try the "Pig's Trotter Glutenous Soup" with a bowl of fried rice.

P1030485

(Jenny I ate deep fried pig's intestines back in the early 80's.  It was like eating a bicycle innertube!)

Breakfast came as part of the hotel room price.  I've noted most hotel breakfasts include cooked vegetables; but served cold.  Eggs, usually boiled or scrambled and noodles.  To drink there is usually coffee, soya milk or fruit juice.  Toast with sweet strawberry jam, or peanut butter.

I started cycling back to Taipei.  It would be my last day cycling and I anticipated I'd be retracing the route of my first day when I cycled from Taipei to Keelung.  Google Maps had other ideas. 

  

First, it didn't want me to leave Keelung, electing to take me down dead end alleys or to a canal that couldn't be crossed.  Eventually I made my own way out of Keelung electing to follow Google Maps later.  Well Google decided I would take a different route to the first day and I was prepared to go along with that as I wasn't in a hurry to finish my cycling tour.

Another old railway tunnel.

P1030489

I like the way the Taiwanese government has converted many of their old railway alignments into cycleways.

Towards the end of my ride I cycled along the linear park beside the river with the motorway high above me.

P1030490 

The panniers and battery were removed from the bike when I arrived outside my accommodation.  I then had to manhandle the bike into the small lift by standing it vertically on its rear wheel.  After so many different room numbers and hotel floor during the last month I'd forgotten which floor to exit the lift.  I ended up stopping at each for to see if I recognised the right one. 

Eventually I remembered it was the 5th floor.  Tomorrow I'll start cleaning, stripping and boxing the bike in preparation for the flights back to Perth.

No comments :