Friday 3 November 2023

Juifen to Keelung

Not a long ride to Keelung and as Juifen is considerably higher the initial part would be downhill.   Google Maps gave me an option of three routes.  I selected the steep minor road directly down to the coast and then along the coastal road to Keelung thinking it would be less busy and more scenic.

cycling day 22

It was drizzling as I departed.  I'm not complaining; the weather forecast was for rain during the last five days of my cycling and that hasn't occurred.

However the drizzle had made the very steep road wet.  That; combined with fallen leaves; made the road surface greasy.  I cycled very slowly.  Paying particular attention on the numerous hairpin bends.

I had only travelled 600 metres when I came upon the entrance to a massive temple.  This was the sixth temple I've seen in Juifen.

P1030477

Eventually I reached the coastal road stopping to look back at Juifen up in the hills.

P1030478

In the saddle between the two hills on the skyline

P1030479

Yet more small boat harbours.  

P1030480

Where to book a room for the night?  Two star hotels mean futon beds, so I was looking for a three star hotel.  There were several to choose from.  The first I stopped at had a number of steps leading up to the main door.  Not wanting to push the heavy bike up them I went to the second hotel.  Mixed reviews on this one.  some clients complained the rooms were dated and smelt of cigarette smoke.  I decided to risk it!

The Harbour View Hotel turned out to be one of the better locations I've stayed at.  I think it had recently been refurbished as my room was very modern.  It had a window.  But looking out all I could see was the brick wall of the adjacent building six inches away. Smile

The toilet in the bathroom was a marvel of engineering.  I felt like I was on the bridge of the Starship Enterprise sitting in Captain Kirk's chair .

It's the first time I've sat on an electric throne! Smile

P1030481

Of course I didn't understand the functions of most of the buttons.  However I did managed to activate the "buttock warmer"!  You are right.  I stayed well away from the button with the symbol indicating a fountain of water would surge upwards from the bowl.

P1030482

There was an issue when I couldn't identify the flush button.  Then I realised it was a manual flush with the button underneath my toiletry bag I'd previously placed on the cistern lid.  Smile

That evening I went for a local walk coming upon another temple.

P1030483

No comments :