Tuesday 28 November 2023

Christmas is Delayed

It appears Christmas this year might be delayed or even cancelled.  It's all down to climate change; green energy; and the political impact of "greenies".   More on that later!

The poor passionfruit vine has now been transplanted in the garden for the fourth time.  It originated as a sucker on my brother's vine which he gave it to Jan.  On receiving it I planted the vine in a large black plastic pot.  Jan then decided the plastic pot wasn't a good idea and had me re-plant it in the ground against the back fence.  The vine started to grow and she realised it needed more room.  Out of the ground it came to be re-planted against the long fence in the swimming pool enclosure.  I subsequently strung long horizontal runs of stainless steel wire on the fence to provide support for our growing vine. 

Six months later we had the local council officer conduct the first of a three yearly pool safety inspection.  We were advised we couldn't grown anything against the fence as it might allow a small child access into the pool area from the adjoining property. 

The poor vine would need to be transplanted for a fourth time.  But where?

Jan decided the only available location was in the front garden on the boundary with our neighbour.  Over the last eight days I've been gradually constructing a frame for the vine.  It's been very hot so I've done this slowly in the evening to avoid the heat.  The posts and timber frame were completed on Monday.  Yesterday I installed the stainless steel wire before planting the vine it it's final location (I hope).

P1030578

I made a serious mistake with the wire installation.  It was an "age thing!"  I forgot to wear leather gloves when handling stranded wire and only afterwards realised pulling on the wire numerous times to tension it had resulted in the wiring cutting my hand. 

In this next photo you can see why there may be a problem with Christmas this year!

 

 

Xmas

No comments :