Tuesday 31 October 2023

A Grey and Cloudy Day

This would be a very scenic road on a fine and sunny day.  Unfortunately for me that wasn't the case.  At least it wasn't raining.  To my surprise, despite the forecast, and the menacing clouds, it didn't actually rain on me.  The roads were wet and there were puddles, which meant I did get covered in road spray from the occasional passing vehicle.  However most of it came from my own wheels and I finished the day with a brown streak up my back.

Glancing out to sea I could see small black dots bobbing around in the water

P1030405P1030406

Surfers……   I suppose if you are already wet rain doesn't bother you

Cycling around one headland I came upon a small fishing harbour.  Truth be known I passed several of them but this was the only one where I was able to stop on the narrow road and take a photo.

P1030408

Approximately two thirds of the way along the route I came to Old Caoling Tunnel.  I needed to make a  decision.  I could cycle through the 2km tunnel or go around the headland. 

Old Caoling Tunnel is a former railway tunnel built by the Japanese when they occupied Taiwan.  When the railway was realigned a new tunnel was built and the old one converted to a tourist bike path.  I decided to take the tunnel option.  

P1030409

There are bicycle rental companies each end.

The ladies wanted a 'selfie' after cycling the strenuous 2km Smile  I patiently waited with my legs happy to have a rest.

P1030410P1030411

The coastline became slightly more attractive

P1030413P1030414

After 80km I reached Shuinandong.  My destination for the day was the picturesque touristy town of Jiufen, which was inland and so I turned away from the coastal road.  Almost immediately the road started to climb.  AND CLIMB!  It was STEEP!  Mostly hairpin bends as it rapidly climbed into the ranges.  I thought to myself "What a way to finish a long day of riding".

Then not only did I have to contend with the steepness of the road but also tourist traffic.  Damned mini coaches would just stop in front of me to disgorge their clients.

This is Golden Waterfall

P1030415

I kept climbing eventually realising Google Maps had taken me away from the main road (and traffic) onto a lesser road which was still very steep.  I rested (numerous times) on a bend and took a photo back towards the coast

P1030416 

Rather hard to see in the dull photo but the hills are dotted with abandoned gold mines.

I reached Jiufen at 2PM and immediately started searching for accommodation.

No comments :