Thursday 26 October 2023

Short Day

A restless night.  My own fault as I should have lowered the air-con temperature.  Too hot to sleep under the duvet and too cold to sleep without it.

Another interesting breakfast that was similar to the previous day.  This time it came with french fries and a small fishcake, along with two omelettes.

I was on the road by 8:30 hoping to beat some of the heat.  Rain was forecast from 3PM onwards.  It was a relatively short ride of approximately 54km.  However there were two steep hills to cross.  At least you know when your start and destination points are at sea level all that hard climbing means there must also be a descent.

cycling day 17. 

After several days of hard riding I was hoping the shorter ride would bring some relief.  Unfortunately my legs were feeling a bit dead.  Then there were the hills.

P1030367

Top of the first hill looking back.

Halfway down the second hill I was stopped by roadworks being undertaken in a tunnel.

 P1030369

I was the first to arrive and as I waited for clearance to go the queue of vehicles became longer.  It was hot waiting out in the sun.  At least when you're moving there is a breeze.

Eventually we were allowed to transit the tunnel.  I held back letting all the waiting vehicles go first.  I didn't fancy sharing a single lane through a tunnel.  As it turned out there were three very long tunnels to transit.  I was pedalling furiously hoping to stay ahead of any vehicle that may have arrived at the tunnel mouth after my entry.

This proved to be the final part of the very hilly sections and for the last 15km it was a relatively flat ride.

P1030370

Henan Temple - A Buddhist Temple on the coastal road in Shoufeng Township.  On the hill above and immediately behind the temple is a 15m-tall statue of Blessing Avalokitesvara.

After cycling for two hours I turned a bend to see Hualien in the distance.

P1030371

I plan on spending two nights in Hualien and started looking online for accommodation settling on the Lishin Hotel (3*) which had a special discounted room rate.  My two nights will cost me just under TWD$1600.  By comparison, last night cost TWD$2400.

On arriving at the hotel I was advised I could take the bike to my room.  The room is clean and a reasonable size.  It has a window…. that looks into my bathroom Smile  I don't need a view.  There's probably an advantage in not having one as it would likely be noisy from all the road traffic outside.

 

No comments :